Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Theme Override Not Working

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@brothatwasdope)

Hi,

I tried following the steps to setup the override theme but it seems like any changes I do to the override theme the changes don't take place.

I copied the full classic theme files and put it within the child theme I have currently activated ( the child theme comes with runway framework). 

Path: /wp-content/themes/liftoff/wpforo

http://prntscr.com/ezmy5f

I then proceeded to make a few changes to the colors.css file within the /wp-content/themes/liftoff/wpforo path. But was not able to see the changes. I added those css changes to the custom css section of wpforo and it worked.

I have a lot more stuff to do within the php layout to the theme style so I will defiantly need access to the theme files and make my adjustments. I just want to know why my changes are not taking effect so I can work on it.

Thanks.

P.S below are the things I've already tried

- Clean WP install with just wpforo and default wp theme

- Copying the wpforo folder to the framework theme folder as well as the child theme folder

- Disabling plugins to see if there was any conflict ( only plugins installed are visual composer and wpforo)

8 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Please note. The copy of wpForo template files is only designed for PHP files. It doesn't support CSS yet. And as far as I know if you have a child theme it should be copied to the child theme folder. Please don't do a full copy of classic theme just transfer files you want to change.

3 Replies
(@brothatwasdope)

I've tried removing the menu from the header.php file. I made sure to empty out the wpforo folder I made in the root of my child theme. But it seems like the changes are still not taking affect after uploading just the header.php file.

I believe I'm missing a step or something for the override to work. The theme tab just says that the override will automatically take effect after adding the file to the wpforo folder.

<div id="wpforo-menu" style="display:table; width:100%;">

<?php do_action( 'wpforo_menu_bar_start', WPF() ); ?>

<div class="wpf-left" style="display:table-cell">

<?php if(WPF()->tpl->has_menu()): ?>

<span class="wpf-res-menu"><i class="fa fa-bars"></i></span>

<?php WPF()->tpl->nav_menu() ?>

<?php endif; ?>

</div>

<div class="wpf-right wpf-search" style="display:table-cell; text-align:right; position:relative;">

<?php if( wpforo_feature('top-bar-search') ): ?>

<form action="<?php echo WPFORO_BASE_URL ?>" method="get">

<i class="fa fa-search"></i><input class="wpf-search-field" name="wpfs" type="text" value="" style="margin-right:10px;" />

</form>

<?php endif; ?>

</div>

<?php do_action( 'wpforo_menu_bar_end', WPF() ); ?>

</div>
(@justme123)

I have the same problem. I follow the instruction on your documentation as I need to completely change the look of the Simplified theme.

I copy the whole classic folder and place it inside my current active theme. When I tried to change the layout, it doesn't take effect. Can you please assist me with this matter? As I really need to do it.

Tutrix
(@tutrix)

Noble Member

@justme123

copy only the files from the Classic Theme folder without the "Classic" folder itself

in your Theme > wpForo folder

Theme Customization

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Menus are manageable in dashboard. Yous should not remove it from template files. please read wpForo documentation before changing template. Please remove the /wpforo/ folder in your theme and start customization using wpForo options. Doc is here:

https://wpforo.com/documentation/

You can disable menu bar and menus in wpForo Settings > Features admin page:

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/wpforo-settings/features/

You can manage menus in Appearance > Menu admin page:

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/getting-started/forum-menu/

1 Reply
 Faab
(@faab)

Hi,

To make the override work, I had to add "$wpforo=$GLOBALS['wpforo']" in each file needed (layout/forum.php etc.). Do you see why ?

I suppose that the files are used by a standard include and I don't really understand why $wpforo is not avalaible. A setting of my server or php ?

My configuration : WordPress 4.9.4., WpForo 1.4.5., PHP 5.6.33

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

There is no $wpforo-> object anymore. You should use WPF()-> instead of $wpforo->. Please don't use old template files for new wpForo versions.

1 Reply
 Faab
(@faab)

That was the problem, I was working on old files locally...

Everything seems ok, now. Thank you.