Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Private Forum Groups for WPForo

9 Posts
6 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
(@francisokech)

Hello,

There is a plugin for bbpress called "Private Groups" which allows you create groups and then assign forums to the group in order to make them private. Only users belonging to a group can view the particular forum. See plugin here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

So, you can have a Readers club or Painters club, etc on the same forum.

Please, do you have this feature in WPFORO? If not, please, is this something you intend to implement soon? If yes, please how soon will this feature be available?

I am asking because I really like WPForo but I really need Private Groups.

Regards,
Francis

8 Replies
BlackRaz
Admin
(@blackraz)
Contributor

Hi Dear @francisokech

Please take a look to this FAQ topic

https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wordpress-user-roles-wpforo-usergroups-and-forum-accesses/

1 Reply
(@jeanne)

Estimable Member

@blackraz I have read the permissions information and still do not understand if it is possible to set up a child forum with permissions that enable some people to "read and write" and others can only "read".  If that is not possible to do, then I still don't understand how to set up a second parent forum in which certain people can only "write" while others can "read and write".  I already have a parent forum and would like to add a child forum (aka a category) that allows only some members to read and write while the remaining members of the parent forum may only "read" this child forum/category.  I have already set up the new category ( https://www.jeannemayell.com/community/forum-for-students-of-jeannes-intuition-classes/)  but have not yet found a way create separate permissions for a select group within that parent.  As I said, if the wpforo rules do not allow separate permissions within the same parent, then I would like to know how to set up a second parent forum on the same website (https:www.jeannemayell.com) that limits the ability to "write" to certain users.

Topic starter
(@francisokech)

Hello BalckRaz,

Thanks for your reply.

Can a user be in multiple usergroups and access multiple private forums as well as public ones?

2 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@francisokech,

Yes. You just need to read attentive the topic we suggested you. Please spend 10 min and read all. Without understanding the Usergroup and Forum Access system you can't manage your private forums. Here is another simple example, how to create a simple private forum: https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/limited-access-forums/#post-16376

(@mickeyb)

@robert

I have read your answers, 
And am looking for a solution, 
I have about 200 private group forums in phpbb, and I want to migrate to wpforo. 

As it seems the solution you give here will make me a list of 200 forum names in the "forum permissions"  is that correct? 

Or is there a new solution since June2020  for private forums pr group of users? 
Thanks
Mickey

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: @mickeyb

As it seems the solution you give here will make me a list of 200 forum names in the "forum permissions"  is that correct? 

You should edit each 200 forums and set "No Access" for Usergroups, which are not permitted to access that forum. This is the most common and simplest way implemented in almost all popular forum softwares.

1 Reply
(@francisokech)

@robert and @mickeyb Correct. It took me a while to understand this because many of us come here hoping to use membership plugins to control access. So, you need to understand usergroups and forum access. 

One thing I want to mention though is to look into automation plugins like Uncanny Automator to make assigning a new user to usergroups automatic. So, if a person purchases a specific product such as a specific membership, the automation plugin can assign them to a specific usergroup. The usergroup the person is assigned to and the forum accesses assigned to that usergroup determines what forums the customer can access.

Using automation plugins, you can also automatically determine that when a person fills a particular form and submits, they be assigned to a specific usergroup. For instance, your affiliates can fill and submit a form and then be assigned to the affiliates usergroup which will give them privileged access to the private Affiliates forums. 

So, once again, please ask Robert to provide you with links to articles on Usergroups and Forum Accesses so you can understand them. Also look up Uncanny automator and how it works with WPForo for usergroup assignments. Also, look at WPFusion which also does usergroup assignments and forum access control. In face, WPFusion may be a better choice for this purpose as it does but usergroup assignments and forum access restrictions automatically. Cheers.

(@jeffrey0120)
  • Edit a forum you want to make private, set No Access for Guests.
  • Navigate to Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Forum Accesses admin page,
  • Edit the No Access settings and make sure all permissions are disabled.

ePayitonline