Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Customizing wpforo text editor

5 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@jaypad)

Hi,

I would like to provide a simple way for my forum users to add images in their posts. For most of them, hosting an image to get a link to put in the post is something difficult. So, I would like to customize the tinyMCE Editor to provide a simple tool for them.

I have installed Advanced Editor Tools (previously TinyMCE Advanced) plugin to my wordpress, and use image plugin to display a simple user interface to include images in forum posts. However, the user needs to host the image before using it. 

Reading tinyMCE documentation, it seems that we can add a file picker (file picker) and set a path to host the files (upload path). Both of these customization require the addition of parameters to the tinymce.init function.

I was able to locate it in the core files of wpforo (in wpf-assets/js/frontend.js), but adding something to the js file is not working (and it's not a good practice, I know) . So I would like to know the "good" way to add parameters to the tinymce.init function.

Thanks for your time.

4 Replies
Alvina
(@alvina)

Hi @jaypad,

For most of them, hosting an image to get a link to put in the post is something difficult. So, I would like to customize the tinyMCE Editor to provide a simple tool for them.

You can use the code explained in this support topic to display the attached image file as an image:
https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/uploading-and-embedding-images/#post-5212

For advanced attachment features you should checkout wpForo Advanced Attachment addon:
https://gvectors.com/product/wpforo-advanced-attachments/

I have installed Advanced Editor Tools (previously TinyMCE Advanced) plugin to my wordpress, and use image plugin to display a simple user interface to include images in forum posts.

It requires custom coding, you should do it yourself or find a developer to do it for you.

Topic starter
(@jaypad)

Thanks @Alvina for you answer.

I am aware of the wpforo advanced attachment addon. It's of course a good solution to my "problem", but unfortunately my little community can't afford it. That's why I was searching for a homemade workaround.

I'm not a professional developer, and can't hire one, but I might find a way to do it myself.

1 Reply
Alvina
(@alvina)

@jaypad,

It's of course a good solution to my "problem", but unfortunately my little community can't afford it. That's why I was searching for a homemade workaround.

In this case, you can use the first solution I mentioned in the post above.

You can use the code explained by Robert in this support topic to display the attached image file as an image: https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/uploading-and-embedding-images/#post-5212

Topic starter
(@jaypad)

I will try this, thank you.