[Solved] Wordfence 2FA

4 Posts
2 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter
(@jasper)
Eminent Member

Hi, all

I use WPForo with MemberSpace and I have WordFence 2FA activated.

I’ve the (previously known) problem with users being asked for a 2FA code, even if the ‘Subscriber’ role is deactivated in Wordfence’s 2FA settings.

At the moment, when the ‘Forum’ link in my header is clicked, the user has to first enter their email address and password into the MemberSpace popup, then they see a ‘bare bones’ forum page and have to either register with WP or log in again.
When they do that, the ‘2FA is required’ message pops up.

I’d like to set things up so that the visitor, once they’ve got past the MemberSpace popup by registering/logging in, only has to register on WP once on their first visit, then subsequently they’d just need to log in to the MemberSpace popup and they’d go straight to the full version of the forum.
Is there a way to do this, as it would avoid the issue with 2FA?

If it’s not possible to avoid the problem with 2FA this way, or getting rid of the need to log in twice each visit, then would creating a new, unique user role (something like ‘WPForo User’) in WP, disabling the 2FA for it in Wordfence and adding some custom code work?

Or maybe having a new, separate login page from the link in the header?

My head is spinning a little with all of this, so I’d appreciate anyone’s opinion and help, thanks!

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Topic starter
(@jasper)
Eminent Member

Fixed.

If you have the same issue, reply, and I'll let you know how I did it.

2 Replies
(@sison2466)

Estimable Member

@jasper Hi Jasper, I'm also having compatibility issues with Wpforo and Wordfence. Can you please share your solution?

(@jasper)

Eminent Member

@sison2466 
Hi

I stopped using Wordfence in December because it was so unpredictable and after doing some research, I discovered it really didn't do much apart from slow down my site!

I found a workaround but it didn't work every time, so I got rid of Wordfence and I've used Defender Pro since then, which has a toggle enabling/disabling 2FA for each user and it's been working perfectly!
Highly recommended.