Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Preventing, minimizing issues. Layouts that are threaded vs flat.

7 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@crbedd)

Greetings!  I have searched past posts and so far not finding answers to my questions directly, point-blank so to speak. 

==============

First, I am excited about using wpForo but then I see all these issues that seem like a lot of but maybe it’s just a small percentage of the total users. 

It makes me wonder how much will I be dealing with issues?  HOW MUCH CAN BE PREVENTED, MINIMIZED?   

==============

I wanted to be sure or confirm that by definition below, the Threaded layout is indeed a threaded and not a flat discussion, forum, or something else.   And if so, is it the only layout that is threaded and not flat or something else? Or are there any other layouts that are threaded?   

Thanks, Randy

==============

A flat forum is one where each message is added onto the end of the discussion, with no set relation to any prior messages (other than being on the same discussion topic

A threaded forum is one where users can specify their message is a reply to an existing message. Threaded forums can display relationships between message topics and associated replies, such as by indenting replies and placing them below the post they reference.

6 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

@crbedd,

Just take it easy. Here are the whole information related to the minimization.

1. wpForo works fine with minimize and optimize plugins. Here at wpForo.com we activated Autoptimize and as you can see all JS and CSS files are minimized and optimized without any issue. Just press F12 and check it in browser console.

Posted by: @crbedd

It makes me wonder how much will I be dealing with issues?  HOW MUCH CAN BE PREVENTED, MINIMIZED?

2. You got it wrong. We don't ask to disable minimizer plugins to all. We only ask to reset those caches or temporarily disable when they have some issue to avoid cache during the debugging and during inserting new CSS code. This is normal, otherwise you'll not see your changes. There are maybe a few optmizer plugins which may really conflict with wpForo, but I don't remember any.

3. Also, in some cases after the new wpForo update, the minimizer and optimizer plugins don't delete its own caches and the wpForo works with old CSS/JS files, which brings tons of JS errors and style issues. We just ask them reset/delete minimizer and optimizer plugins cache. That's it. We don't ask to disable them forever.

So, in other words, wpForo has no any issue with minimization. All our requirements were related to reset old caches or to stop it during some changes in order to see the fix real-time.

Posted by: @crbedd

I wanted to be sure or confirm that by definition below, the Threaded layout is indeed a threaded and not a flat discussion, forum, or something else.   And if so, is it the only layout that is threaded and not flat or something else? Or are there any other layouts that are threaded?   

This is a Threaded Layout topic, you can see screenshots of the Threaded layout here:

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/categories-and-forums/forum-layouts/threaded-layout/

You also can see Q&A Layout screenshots here, its also could be called as threaded:

https://wpforo.com/docs/categories-and-forums/forum-layouts/question-answer-layout/

Other two Extended and Simplified Layouts are flat. They are a classic forum layouts:

Extended: https://wpforo.com/docs/categories-and-forums/forum-layouts/extended-layout/

Simplified: https://wpforo.com/docs/categories-and-forums/forum-layouts/simplified-layout/

2 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

And this is a simple reply to a post. As you can see, it's threaded.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

Another reply with second nesting level.

Topic starter
(@crbedd)

Robert, Thank you! for your reply. and being so prompt and thorough, detailed. 

Thank you as well as for confirming that the Threaded and Q&A layout are threaded and the layouts that are not, flat--extended and simplified. I appreciate the examples and explanation you included. 

Now I can go ahead and set up probably the Threaded layout. I am not a WP developer or anything like that, so I am looking for someone to help me out and will compensate. 

So maybe you know of someone or someone on the Forum could ASSIST WITH SETTING UP, getting the Threaded layout going. 

===================   

Sorry I didn't make it clear.  I wasn't thinking, don't know about the minimization you brought up, but will copy and keep just in case.   

I was thinking of what will make any problems, issues with set up and use of wpForo less, have as few of them as possible.  

Thanks for your assistance,

Randy

2 Replies
(@crbedd)

I have someone to help me set up wpForo and the threaded layout.  Robert, I just have to say that you are amazing and that weForo is incredible as a result.  I have been reading many reviews and posts in the woForo Forum.  You are everywhere with just the right, detailed, complete response.  You are patient, dedicated and answer, meet or resolve questions, needs or issues so well, so professional.  Kudos, shout out to you.  Thank you!  

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@crbedd,

That's great!

Thank you very much for the kind words.