Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Setting up unique users separate from Wordpress

5 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
(@twreilly)

I'm wondering whether it's possible for a user to log into Wordpress with one set of credentials (it would be a generic department account like, Maintenance) but have their own unique WPForo account (their name).

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

I'm sorry but I didn't follow you. WP and wpForo user system is the same, there is no separate user database tables. If you want to have separate user in forum you can register twice and have two users with different credentials and permissions.

(@carold)

You say WPForo uses the WP user database - can you tell me if there is a way to see the WPForo user status in the same drop down list as the normal WP users (ie in a user edit screen there is a drop down list of their status admin/subscriber etc but there is then a separate wforo drop down list to choose admin/customer/guest etc) 

If these were integrated (same as they are when you use woocommerce or other plugins that need a WP user status) then it would be a simple thing to be able to integrate WPforo with a membership plugin etc (something which many many I have seen here are really wanting to do as WPForo is such a great forum plugin and much nicer to look at and use than older forum plugins) 

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Thank you carold,

we'll consider to add some map for WP role and wpForo Usergroups. But WP roles can not be managed like wpForo Usergroups. you can see it here: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/members/usergroups-and-permissions/

wpForo Usergroups is an advanced system to control users permissions and accesses to forum. WP roles have no chance to perform this kind of deep control.

hgr
(@hgr)
Posted by: Robert

Thank you carold,

we'll consider to add some map for WP role and wpForo Usergroups. But WP roles can not be managed like wpForo Usergroups. you can see it here: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/members/usergroups-and-permissions/

wpForo Usergroups is an advanced system to control users permissions and accesses to forum. WP roles have no chance to perform this kind of deep control.

But Robert, it is really not the case of changing the user access rights. It is really only a matter of linking the WP User roles to the WPFORO user groups. The rights can be handled in WPFORO, based on user groups, but the assignment to the user groups could be based upon the users roles. 

This will solve multiple issues, Membership plugin integrations as well as the option to have the user in multiple user groups. and of such having different access rights in different forums. 

You may have noticed that I have suggested this in various threads by now, but this is because the forum never really becomes a true WordPress forum if the users are out of sync with the forum.