Clear all

[Closed] Sharing wpForo Links on LinkedIn

4 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@timrodman)
Estimable Member

I've noticed that when sharing wpForo posts on LinkedIn, it grabs my website favicon instead of the first image in the post. I figured this is because LinkedIn just sees the page and not what is in the [wpforo] shortcode. 

So I tried adding an image to the page like this:

But LinkedIn still grabs my favicon instead. I know that this is probably more of a WordPress issue than a wpForo issue, but does anyone have any ideas how to get LinkedIn to grab the image in the picture above?

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

You can view the source for this topic and see how wpForo manage share meta tags. This is a SEO component and it's work fine for Facebook, Twitter and etc... As you can see the first image of the first post is presented for sharing.

We'll check if there are any LinkedIn specific SEO tags and include in wpForo core for future versions.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Also please check if wpForo SEO works on your forum. Because as far as I know LinkedIn works with Open Graph tags. Open Graph tags exist in wpForo SEO as you can see on the screenshot above.

Topic starter
(@timrodman)
Estimable Member

Very cool. I didn't realize that's how it worked. This gives me even more confidence in wpForo's SEO capabilities and I already had a lot of confidence.

I figured out the issue. I was expecting it to pickup the first image in the thread. But it only picks up the image if it's in the original topic post. I can see that now by looking at the <meta property="og:image" tag.

So my workaround is just to edit the original topic post and put an image in there. Which is totally fine.