Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Where is the dev repository for this? Are you trying to keep this closed source or in-house only?

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Reactions
Topic starter
(@tripflex)

My first hesitation in using this plugin is that I can't find it anywhere on any public repo except for the WordPress svn, and makes me wonder if your plan is to only have your own developers work on it, or if it's meant to be an actual open source community contributed plugin.

.... if this is meant to be an open source community contributed plugin, why wouldn't you have it on GitHub where actual developers who are interested in it, can see previous bugs patched, issues being worked on, etc.  That is like, the first thing I would do, not only to be transparent as possible with the code base, the plugin itself, but to also generate interest from other developers  (I am a full time WP dev myself).

So that leads me to my question, what is your plan with this plugin?  Are you planning on only having your own developers work on it?  What happens when you guys decide you have another project your devs want to work on ... then everyone who spent time and money getting this plugin setup, could be SOL.

I'm not trying to drag you guys through the mud, just trying to get an idea of what your plans are with this plugin.  

Mainly because from what i've seen so far, it looks very nice, and could be a great up and coming plugin.... BUT .... i'm also not going to put all my eggs in one basket that I have no idea who is holding that basket, what they are going to do with it, and if one day they may just say ... oh well and drop that basket face down.

2 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi tripflex,

My first hesitation in using this plugin is that I can't find it anywhere on any public repo except for the WordPress svn, and makes me wonder if your plan is to only have your own developers work on it, or if it's meant to be an actual open source community contributed plugin.

Currently yes, wpForo is only being developed by our team, we have a strong defined development plan and it can't be contributed by other development. Maybe in future it'll be available for all.

.... if this is meant to be an open source community contributed plugin, why wouldn't you have it on GitHub where actual developers who are interested in it, can see previous bugs patched, issues being worked on, etc.  That is like, the first thing I would do, not only to be transparent as possible with the code base, the plugin itself, but to also generate interest from other developers  (I am a full time WP dev myself).

You can find all bug report and fixes in our support forum, it's more than informative and easy to fond. We'd spend twice more time to support in Git too. We can't do that yet.

So that leads me to my question, what is your plan with this plugin?  Are you planning on only having your own developers work on it?  What happens when you guys decide you have another project your devs want to work on ... then everyone who spent time and money getting this plugin setup, could be SOL.

wpForo is a professional and large project, it's not a simple small plugin, this is the biggest project of gVectors Team, it can't be left or changed to other project. You can be 100% sure. Opening it on Git is not a reason to trust it more or less. The main trust comes from team income. If the development team has a good income from some project then it'll be always well developed and improved. wpForo is a free plugin, but we're developing paid addons for wpForo like WooCommerce and those will help us to make this forum even better every day. wpForo will be as long as WordPress exists. Even more, it'll be turned to a stand-alone forum once WordPress development stops.

Topic starter
(@tripflex)

Thank you for your detailed and informative response, I do appreciate it.