wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Guest posters names and emails incorrectly being applied

9 Posts
2 Users
1 Reactions
SiteBastion
Topic starter
(@sitebastion)
Trusted Member

We've had several instances now of guest posters having the wrong Name and Email address being applied to their posts. In one instance a moderator was logged out and replied to a post and it chose the previous posters username and email address.

Our forums are setup right now as guest posting only - no login required.

8 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @sitebastion,

You cannot control guest's Username and Email in guest posting.

SiteBastion
Topic starter
(@sitebastion)
Trusted Member

Hi Chris,

Not looking to control it, what I'm saying is that a guest enters a name and email, but WPForo is choosing the name and email of the previous poster instead. Not all of the time, but often enough that it's a problem.

Example:

John comes to the forum, and posts a reply to an existing topic. He uses "John L." as his username and his email is "john.lennon@apple.com". He writes his post and hit's "Add Reply".

When the reply is posted the reply is correct but the username is now "Nancy S." and when I look at the database I can see that her email is also used "nancy.sinatra@comcast.net"

I have confirmed the errant replies contain the correct text but the wrong attribution of username and email in the database. I've edited a couple of these and the edits take just fine. So there is some problem in the mechanism at the time of submission that is causing these replies to use the previous poster or topic starter's username and email.

Any ideas what?

Best,

Kim

Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @sitebastion,

That happens because of the cookies, after the second reply, the user data will be saved, and it will work fine.

3 Replies
SiteBastion
(@sitebastion)

Trusted Member

Hi @chris,

I'm not certain you're understanding what I'm saying here, this is an anomalous behavior that you're saying is normal. two people, not at the same physical location, entering different data end up with the first poster's info applied to their post.

It's currently working like this (sometimes):

Guest1 comes to the forum and posts a question for the forum members to see.
They use the name Guest1 and the email address Guest1@example.com.
Their question is posted to the forum correctly.

Guest2 comes to the forum, reads Guest1's question and answers Guest1.
They use the name Guest2 and the email address Guest2@email.com.
HOWEVER - once posted to the forums, the username for the answer post is Guest1 and the email address is Guest1@example.com.
It looks like Guest1 answered their own question when in fact it was Guest2 that answered the question.

So, if I understand you correctly, this is normal?
Any guest post will sometimes, but not always, use the username and email of the previous guest poster?

We're not talking about 2 people using the same computer here, we are talking about to entirely different individuals, using different computers, located thousands of miles apart and posting at different times.

Please clarify because if this is normal, you might as well just nuke guest posting altogether. Because that is a serious bug. Cookies or not, you cannot attribute guest posts to other guests randomly.

My thought is that this is a caching issue of some sort. We don't use a caching plugin but we do have a server level cache distributed at the edge as well as a Cloudflare CDN.

Kim

Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@sitebastion,

We have tried what you mentioned several times, and we didn't get any issues with the Username and Email.
Anyway, I will send it to our Dev team, for an additional checking.

SiteBastion
(@sitebastion)

Trusted Member

@chris It's been almost 2 weeks now, did the Dev team find anything related to this problem?

SiteBastion
Topic starter
(@sitebastion)
Trusted Member

Thanks, I'm eager to hear what they come up with.

I have a vendor login available for our website of anyone needs to log in to check out our setup and I am happy to answer any questions your dev team might have.

Best Regards,

Kim

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@sitebastion,

The Dev team is working on the New Version, and they didn't come to the guest post part yet, but it is on the checklist, so it will take time to for them to come up to the guest post part, I will let you know what they got about it.