Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] combine two wpforo users

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@carlosburgos)
Eminent Member

hi, i have two registered users [with two e-mail addresses] that is the same person

could i combine this two profiles and their messages in only one profile?

5 Replies
VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

@carlosburgos

Choose which profile you want to delete from Dashboard/forums/members. When the dialog appears re-assign the posts to the profile that you want to keep. 

1 Reply
(@carlosburgos)

Eminent Member

thank you so much for your quick and easy help

best 

(@crisw)
Reputable Member
Posted by: carlosburgos

hi, i have two registered users [with two e-mail addresses] that is the same person

could i combine this two profiles and their messages in only one profile?

Hi @carlosburgos.

You can try this:

Copy the 2 different Wordpress Usernames of the 2 Registered Users that corresponds to the 2 different email addresses in a Notepad File.

For example:
Username1 = emailaddress1
Username2= emailaddress2

Decide which username to delete, for this example, let's delete Username1 = emailaddress1 (because maybe the person no longer has access to emailaddress1)

Then go to
1) Wordpress Dashboard > Users > All Users

3) Then go to the specific User account that you will delete, in this example, Username1 (Username1 = emailaddress1)

4) Click the "delete" button

5) The "Delete Users" page displays and it will give you the following options:

Delete Users
You have specified this user for deletion:

ID #2: "Username1"

What should be done with content owned by this user?

(o) Delete all content.
(o) Attribute all content to:

6) Select "Attribute all content to:" "Then there is a "Drop Down" menu that has all the WP (and Forum) user names. So for my example, 

7) select "Username2" (or whatever username that you selected to keep, that is in the Dropdown Menu).

8) Then select the "Confirm Deletion" button.

What the above steps does, is Delete that old Username1 account AND move all the contents (if any) by "Username1" to the "Username2" Account.

So in your specific use case, just know which "user account" you want to delete, and which one you want to keep, and do the steps above.

It "merges" those two accounts, basically.

And the deleted account will no longer be able to login (or reset password) using the email address that they used previously. (Because it could be that the User felt he had to create a new account using a different email address, because he no longer has access to the old email address).

Doing the above steps, I've also noticed that some of the articles or posts written by the "deleted account" showed up as "Anonymous", when merged to the new account. But it wasn't a big deal for us because the new posts on the forum just pushed the old posts out of the posts or topics "queue" in our Forum.

The steps above is a WordPress type of a technique, and since wpForo is a "plugin" that uses the core WordPress User Tables, the specific steps above is what I found in my own specific "use case" to work. You can try it.

(Disclaimer, it worked for our website, with me using the above technique that I figured out, but it might not work for you). But if it works for you too, let us know here. So at least the steps above can be used by others as "Steps to take" in order to "merge WP users", that will also "merge forum users", because wpForo uses the WP user tables.

Good luck and God bless you! 🙂

1 Reply
(@carlosburgos)

Eminent Member

wow, thank you for your dedicated help, great article, thank you so much crisw 👋

(@crisw)
Reputable Member

Hi @carlosburgos . You're welcome. @Verek helped too!  🙂 (But since I already typed up the "step by step" - i thought I might as well post the answer here.  Good luck! 🙂