wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Customizing user reg and notification emails

19 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hmm. I see wpForo asks in reg form for name and for 'display name publicly as' which is correctly present in system/plugin email.

If you see that on wpForo form it doesn't mean this is wpForo fields. wpForo registration form is the WordPress form a little bit re designed. This form has tons of functions which allows other plugins and codes insert own fields in this form. And the result you see. This is the WordPress theme fields or inserted by other plugins. PLEASE DEACTIVATE ALL PLUGINS AND CHECK IT AGAIN. If it doesn't removed field, then change the theme and check. This maybe theme code.

mamamia
Topic starter
(@mamamia)
Trusted Member

@Robert You are right. I disabled WP Spamshield ( https://www.redsandmarketing.com/plugins/wp-spamshield/) and the extra fields went away. I can disable spam shield for reg forms but that is not a good idea. It is the best ever security anti spam plugin. I always delete the heavy Akismet and just use this without a need ever for recaptchas/captchas or bothersome plugins of this type and never a single spam gets through. I love this plugin. Used to be free but I got the extended license for all my sites on codecanyon and only use this to protect GF and comments, WC, reg etc etc.

I contacted the developer but perhaps also on your end something can be done for compatibility?

Thank you in advance and hope all my issues make your plugin even more awesome!

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

I'm sorry but we can't make it compatible with wpForo. We don't know how it works. It's easier and more correct to make the Spamshield functions compatible with wpForo registration form. This should be done by Spamshield developers. wpForo Reg form is the same WP reg form. We don't have any specific things here.

Aslo I think they should have options to remove the extra fields. These are not required. Try to remove those fields and test it again.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Also please note. wpForo has own Spam Control system, which integrated with Akismet.

Also In Dashboard > Forums > Tools > Antispam tab you can find built-in reCAPTCHA options. If you enable it for all forms the spam registration will be stopped for sure.

1 Reply
mamamia
(@mamamia)

Trusted Member

@robert  thanks, but I do not use Akismet. I find the WP Spamshield a lot better and it eliminates completely any need for using recaptchas/captchas, which just annoy users. Often these captchas are a total pest of a thing to use or try to decipher that code. Nothing I personally hate more that trying to submit a contact /support request or sign up and that thing won't accept my entries of letters and numbers many times.

So for entire site a solution like WP Spamshield is perfect for my needs, without needing to use the heavier Akismet with its many false positives and captchas on top of it all. 

Additionally, WP Spamshield adds a link to check plugins security history in the plugins page. I never knew there was a place to check for vulnerabilities. If now there is a live vulnerability going on on one of my plugins, I'd know. 

Great you have these cool anti-spam features in place, you guys are doing a great job.
It's probably perfect for those not wanting to pay extra for WP Spamshield and who are not in need of anything more than forum.

However, please enable to edit the system email from your registration form, somehow.

Here's what WP Spamshield support said:

The First NameLast Name, and Display Name form fields are an essential part of the registration spam protection that the plugin provides.

These are the same fields that are included in the wp-admin/user-edit.php and wp-admin/profile.php ( WordPress Dashboard –> Users –> Profile ) pages of your WordPress Dashboard, and are used elsewhere in the WordPress core code.

We’re not sure why you want to turn these off. If you’re going to have real human users register on your site, you would want them to fill these out anyway, especially because the user would need to fill these out before actually using any features of your WordPress site, such as commenting, writing posts, etc. Having new users fill these fields out when registering (as opposed to later on) is a proven method of helping to make sure only legitimate human users register on your site, and is one of several methods this plugin uses to prevent human registration spam. (Automated bot registrations are all stopped automatically by different methods.)

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

Maybe you should try The Shield for your security, spam and many other things. I haven't found anything better and lighter yet.

Page 2 / 3