Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Is it possible to have a new post indicator in the forum index?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
NorCal
Topic starter
(@norcal)

I am checking wpForo out as a possible option to migrate to.   This little thing is something my users freaked out over when I moved to another forum that didn't offer it.  So it is pretty much a deal breaker for me if it isn't possible.

I need each forum in the forum index to have an indicator next to the forum title showing the user how many new/unread posts are in that forum?  Example:

Forum One  (11 new messages)

Forum Two

Forum Three (33 new messages)

3 Replies
NorCal
Topic starter
(@norcal)

by the number of views it seems like a lot of people are interested in this as well but I'm disappointed to not get any answer.  Would it help if I said that I would be purchasing Addons?

2 Replies
Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)

Support Team

Hi @norcal,

Thank you for this suggestion. 

Would it help if I said that I would be purchasing Addons?

No, this is a free support forum and we help people here as much as possible. It's not necessary to buy any addons it'll not help you to get support here. 

Regarding your question. 

I've already asked wpForo developers and if it's possible we'll give you some solution. If there is no easy solution we can offer you we'll add this in our to-do list and implement it in wpForo future versions. 

Alternative options:

1. Started from wpForo 1.5.2 version wpForo displays bold titles and colored icons of forums if it has new content since your last visit. Topic titles are also balded if it contains new posts. This change also allows you to see Unread Posts by clicking the according to link in Forum Footer or in Recent Posts page.

2. wpForo has a Filter dropdown on Recent Posts page (Unread, Solved...), so the users can easily see the Unread posts. 

NorCal
(@norcal)

@sofy

Thank you for the reply.  So it seems the good news is that wpforo is already tracking this by user so it would be possible to integrate this.  The bad news then is like my previous attempt to change forum solutions which also offered Unread filter, this was not enough for my users. 

It is a usability thing for them.  They want the indicator right in the forum index so they can click through in one step to the unread messages in that forum.  The biggest (but not only) complaint was from mobile users.  They said the indicator made it so much easier to use the forum but when they had to navigate menus and select filters over multiple steps it became very clunky and tedious.

I note the Recent Posts in the sidebar of this forum.  I could be mistaken but it seems like an alternate implementation of this same logic and/or the logic in your item #1, could be used, but not displaying the actual thread title and replacing it with some small math logic adding up the sum of the unread for that user.