Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Multi Language forum

9 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
(@iv9396)

Why you don't make instructions how create Multi Language forum?

My site has got 14 languages. I want make 14 forums, fore every language. I want the forum to display topics only in the selected language.

Example I pick English language.  I will be see only topic in English language. And i don't will see topics in Russian, France and other languages.

And the second question.

I have got forums page in Russian language. When I copy this page for English, forum stopping show in old page/

Topic Tags
8 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @iv9396,

WordPress doesn't have a single solution for creating Multi Language website. There are many plugins and all are different, so the forum is fully depends on the Multi Language plugin you use. That's why  there is not any documentation for that.

2 Replies
(@iv9396)

@robert I use WPML, have you got solution?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@iv9396,

The solution comes with the core. wpForo will automatically change the User Interface phrases to the current website language based on the translation PO/MO files. So just make sure you have the translation of the languages you use. You can install Loco Translation plugin and check the translation files of wpForo.

But the forums cannot be changed based on the language. Forums and content will stay the same, only UI phrases are changed. There is no way to have separate forums for different languages.

(@danielgarneau)
Posted by: @robert

Hi @iv9396,

WordPress doesn't have a single solution for creating Multi Language website. There are many plugins and all are different, so the forum is fully depends on the Multi Language plugin you use. That's why  there is not any documentation for that.

Hello @robert, I use Polylang to make my web site trilingual (French, English, Spanish). So far, I have installed WpForo in a development area of my site, so you cannot see it just now. The first thing I did was create a page for each language, and copied the WpForo code to the other two. This appears to be working on the surface, but as soon as I dive into the forum from a page other than that of my main language -- which is French -- the user is brought from whatever language to the main one. 

I was wondering if short codes or something similar could be used to choose what part of the forum is displayed on each page. Thank you for whatever input might be provided on this question.

Have a good day, 

3 Replies
(@danielgarneau)

Hello @iv9396

Interesting question. I am still hoping to find a solution to it.   Have you explored using shortcodes to display some boards and not others on a page by page basis of your WordPress site? 

My website is currently paired with a phpBB forum, which I am working at replacing with WpForo. 

So, I'll be interested in you sharing whatever you discover about the question you are asking. 

Have a good day.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@danielgarneau,

The same here...

wpForo will automatically change the User Interface phrases to the current website language based on the translation PO/MO files. So just make sure you have the translation of the languages you use. You can install Loco Translation plugin and check the translation files of wpForo.

But the forums cannot be changed based on the language. Forums and content will stay the same, only UI phrases are changed. There is no way to have separate forums for different languages.

(@danielgarneau)

Posted by: @robert

@danielgarneau,

The same here...

wpForo will automatically change the User Interface phrases to the current website language based on the translation PO/MO files. So just make sure you have the translation of the languages you use. You can install Loco Translation plugin and check the translation files of wpForo.

@robert, thank you.

(@danielgarneau)

Reporting back after finally having decided to migrate From Phpbb to wpForo through go2wpForo. Loco translate was already installed on my site, so there was no problem at all having the forum display in French. There is a French translation integrated to my Loco Translate instance which is said to be 100 % completed, and it does seem to be working as it should, as far as I could tell so far. 

I worked within the limitations mentioned earlier in this thread about having only one instance of the forum on a given site -- by opposition to one instance per language as I had hoped to be able to do: My site is trilingual, so is my forum. However, the English and Spanish portions of my forum are not as developed as the French one. So I was confortable with the idea of telling my users to go to the French language page in order to access the forum they would find there.