Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] New User...several setup issues

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@madhatter)

Hello,

I just installed this forum on a wordpress site as a separate area attached to a main website, and I'm seeing there are major issues when an end user registers to join the forum...

First issue I'm having, these registration emails are going straight into spam filters. Is there anyway to help with this?

The emails are also very generic, there is no identifying information saying where the email is really from, just a link to click... it looks spammy and unprofessional. Is there a way to edit these or add more information to what is sent? Would be nice to have something like "Thanks for joining our forum etc"...

The other major issue I have, is that after someone registers, real quickly it flashes in the upper left hand corner of the screen to check email for password...and then disappears in like two seconds. If someone isn't quick enough to see or read it, they end up wondering what to do next because the same page just reloads like nothing happened.

Then, when someone clicks the registration link sent to their email, they are brought to the WP login page instead of the forum login??? I don't like that AT ALL.  How can this be avoided? It's confusing, and I don't want people logging in that way, I want them redirected to the FORUM to make their password for the FORUM and login.

And this is the weirdest part... then after logging in, you get taken to the wordpress profile editor??? Instead of their forum profile or forum account? Please tell me this can be changed or else all this time and effort will have to be thrown out. I can't have registering and logging into the forum this convoluted and confusing for people, it would be enough to turn people away, it's that weird.

Thank you.

5 Replies
1 Reply
(@madhatter)

I meant to say it flashes in the upper RIGHT hand corner, a green popup like thing, that says "check your email for password link blah blah" It lasts for about 2 seconds and disappears...just too fast. I would rather see a notification show up on the page itself confirming success and instructions on how to complete registration....

Topic starter
(@madhatter)

o*g...okay so there is not a separate login setting for the forum? Now I have to login to my own wordpress site through the forum just so that the login in page for forum members doesn't take them to my wordpress admin? Please tell me this isn't true...

Topic starter
(@madhatter)

I'm not sure how long it takes for forum posts to get moderated or answered, but I want to make sure that I explain that although I realize wordpress sends out a generic registration notice email, I would have thought/hoped that your plugin would have addressed that. It appears it doesn't, so much question to you now is, will your plugin conflict with a plugin that allows easier editing of system generated email notifications?

I mean I honestly don't get it, I found where you have it where any other email can be customized, but NOT the registration email?? Why on earth is this not there?

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

Hi madhatter,

let's consider all your problems one by one.

First of all please note that the registration/login/password part is handled by Wordpress, not wpForo.

o*g...okay so there is not a separate login setting for the forum? Now I have to login to my own wordpress site through the forum just so that the login in page for forum members doesn't take them to my wordpress admin? Please tell me this isn't true...

Sorry, I don't follow you. You'd like to replace wpForo sign up to WordPress? If yes, you should disable the "Replace Login Page URL to Forum Login Page URL" option. Just set it "No". Then test it with other browser or with a private session. The redirection is hard cached in browsers. This option is located in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Features admin page. 

Webby
(@webby)
Posted by: madhatter

I meant to say it flashes in the upper RIGHT hand corner, a green popup like thing, that says "check your email for password link blah blah" It lasts for about 2 seconds and disappears...just too fast.

@sofy Sorry, could you explain: Is it a wordpress thing or it has something to do with wpforo coding? This green popup disappears tooooooo fast and a new user sees no signs of a successful registration (let alone a greeting kiss).