Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Recent Topics Page

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@timrodman)
Estimable Member

I love the new Recent Posts page in 1.4.2 that you can use with /%wpforo-recent%/

I'm wondering if there is also a way to access a Recent Topics page. I know there is the widget, but I'm looking for it as a page like the new Recent Posts page.

6 Replies
(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member

There isn't one yet but there have been similar requests for this feature.

Topic starter
(@timrodman)
Estimable Member

Thanks Sam. I'm sure we'll see it get added at some point.

Topic starter
(@timrodman)
Estimable Member

I came up with a workaround in the meantime.

1. Install this plugin:

2. Go to Appearance -> Widgets and add the wpForo Recent Topics widget to the Widgets for Shortcodes area:

3. Note [do_widget id=wpforo_widget_recent_topics-2] in the screenshot above and go create a regular WordPress page, putting this in the page text:

4. The end result isn't perfect because you're outside of the forum, but it's better than nothing (I added the four buttons on the top as part of my page to give some navigation options):

https://www.timrodman.com/recent-aug-topics/

1 Reply
(@mrsamg)

Reputable Member

That's a nifty workaround. I think similar can be achieved using the RSS feed.

(@1sharonkat)
Reputable Member

My vision of latest posts and/or topics is completely different from the way it is implemented in wpForo.

If I'm not mistaken, wpForo implemented it as a cookies based method and it not 100% correct because as you move between devices it is like starting over where ALL topics are Bold.

Working with other forums, as I read topics or even a reply to a topic, it is marked as read forever and removed from the un-read list of new topics because the topic for me is old until there is new reply to the topic. This way I do not have to scroll through 2k topics and the more I'm active on the forum, the list gets shorter. And regardless from device I'm singed-in, the list will be the same.

As for gusts, this function should be turned off as they are not part of the community.

Obviously, this kind of functionality requires an addition to the DB and will contribute to the next enhancement - generating alerts about read/unread replies to any topic that a member is part of [topic created by a member or topic that a  member replied to].

These are my 2 cents on this topic, but wpForo is young and the way the developers are working is very promising and I love this plug.

I would like to continue this discussion with the developers since I have many years of experiences in system design [I'm a lousy coder]...  

Page 1 / 2