Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Some members getting 500 Internal Error when viewing or posting

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@graemet)

Hi team, I have 2 members who have reported this problem, and one of them is our moderator/admin, so we can't get any answers to forum questions.

They report getting this error once they login and view a random number of forum posts (2-5) successfully and then they get the error on their next forum link click.

They also get it if they try add a topic or a reply. If they login fresh, and try add topic or reply it goes to Internal Server Error. But if they login again fresh, their post or reply has saved.

But as soon as they try click on it, it goes to error (I have copy and pasted the error text from Chrome below).

Because the problem is user based, we think it's perhaps a redirect or cookie based issue (with a looping redirect). But when I login as one of the affected customers I can replicate it on my browser. But as an admin in the forum I don't get the error. So perhaps it's not cookie based??

We checked the logs in Memberium on our site in WP Admin, and it has an error log here but that same error log exists nowhere else on the server.

Have tried changing themes and deactivated all other plugins.

What do you advise?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@members.theonlinedogtrainer.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

3 Replies
Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

Hi GraemeT,

Please ask the users who get the issue to click on the "Mark all read" button located in forum footer.

We've already fixed the issue.  In the upcoming version, there will not be such an issue.

(@davehamilton)
Eminent Member

We've been routinely running into this, too. It seems to happen when the wpf_read_topics cookie gets too large for the web server to process as part of the incoming request. As @sofy mentioned, clicking "Mark all read" seems to temporarily solve this, though we're still seeing it happen with 1.5.5. @Sofy, do you have an ETA as to when a true fix for this will be released?

It seems to me that wpForo is (now?) storing this data internally for the user, so Unread Topics is maintained across multiple browsers. If that's the case, why is it continuing to set wpf_read_topics at all?

Saluki
(@saluki)
Eminent Member

We continue to see this behavior and it is getting very frustrating.  It tends to hit when there are about 40 active users browsing the site. 

Any fixes upcoming @sofy?