Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] User groups can't be deleted.

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
addicT
Topic starter
(@addict)

Hey guys,

I wanted to remove a customly made user group, but no matter what I do, the group keeps existing. No error messages, nothing. It just stays there.

"Alright", I thought, "just rename it and apply new permissions to the group, that should fix it". But when I rename the ("deleted") group, a new one is  being created. A group which, once again, can't be deleted.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

6 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi addicT,

I wanted to remove a customly made user group, but no matter what I do, the group keeps existing. No error messages, nothing. It just stays there.

We just created a custom usergroup and deleted, it works fine on all our test websites. Make sure you go through all steps. The second step ask you to re-attach users or delete it with users:

"Alright", I thought, "just rename it and apply new permissions to the group, that should fix it". But when I rename the ("deleted") group, a new one is  being created. A group which, once again, can't be deleted.

Something irregular is going on your dashboard. If you don't have important information please Uninstall and install it again.

addicT
Topic starter
(@addict)

It's not the first time I used a forum software in my life from an administrative point of view, so I know what I'm doing. In fact, I've been hosting forums and communities for almost half of my life. But man, wpForo can be quite disappointing at times.

Deleting the whole plugin for fixing a simple bug? You can't be serious. Thank god I have a very good coder at hand who simply deleted the group-id from the database. So the issue was resolved.

But while we're speaking about user groups: 

• Is there a simple way to change the color of each individual user group (like with your Admin group underneath the avatar)?
  • Why are user groups displayed differently from what they were named? I have a user group which is named "Supports us". It is, however, displayed as "Supports Us". So each word has a capital letter at the beginning, even though the user group was named correctly.

Thanks.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi  addicT,

I didn't suggest this for a simple bug fixing. I thought you got a general problem with wpForo installation. Because in normal installations there is no problem with usergoup deleting. This is something very strange that the usergroup delete doesn't work on your website.

Regarding to your questions:

You can ask your coder to write a simple CSS code for Usergroup Coloring. Also he/she can use a same CSS code ( text-transform:none ) to control usergroup text. That's very easy for developers. 

In any case if your coder couldn't do this, just leave a list of places where exactly you' like us to change usergroup color and we'll write this CSS code for you.

(@raygauthier)

I realize this is an old post but I thought I'd add some clarity (and confusion)

I took a look at the code and it looks like any User Groups that were part of the initial default User Groups, can not be deleted.  There is a line in usergroup.php that reads:

if$group['groupid'] > 5.... then it goes on to execute the deletion.

I even inserted the code in the URL address line that "should" bypass that "IF" condition

yoursite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpforo-usergroups&groupid=3

&wpfaction=wpforo_usergroup_delete_form

but it fails. 

So, for some reason, deleting the initial UserGroups is forbidden.  
I just renamed mine "not used", removed all the permissions, and moved on 

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@raygauthier,

Yes, there are many reasons. For example, the Guest usergroup is related to all not-registered visitors, so if you delete it your visitors will not have any permission. The #3 is the main default usergroup that is configured with standard access. Sometimes, people delete the #3 Usergroup and don't create/set a  new default usergroup. This brings tons of problems on new user registration process and in future forum usage by that user. In other words, if you allow users to delete usergroups they always find a way to crash their forums and users permissions.

Page 1 / 2