[Closed] wpForo 1.3.0 is released!
wpForo + Cache is ready!
The last 1.2.0 version was the spam killer version. And this 1.3.0 version is designed to increase wpForo performance and make it super fast. Now wpForo can be used for forums with extremely large databases.
wpForo 1.3.0 with built-in Cache System
You don't even need to use other cache plugins for wpForo. wpForo builtin cache system is based on three different logics of caching, which procures high performance and super low SQLs started from second load of each forum page:
- Object Cache (caches items and objects, decreases number of SQLs)
- Memory Cache (keeps in memory and prevents process/query duplication)
- HTML Cache (smart and intuitive HTML cache of forum pages)
You can enable/disable them in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Features admin page:
It creates /cache/ folder for cache files in /wp-content/uploads/wpforo/ directory.
You can delete all caches in Dashboard > Forums > Dashboard admin page.
wpForo 2 step installation
wpForo creates user profiles based on WordPress users on activation process. It may take dozens of minutes if you got thousands of users. We made this process as a second separate step of plugin installation, this prevents plugin activation issues. Now, if you have more than 100 users you'll be prompted with a message-box in dashboard to continue installation and create forum users profile:
Usergroup under user avatar
We added new set of options to display Usergroup information under post author avatar. You can enable/disable for each usergroup in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > members admin page.
wpForo Top Admin Bar Menu
wpForo Ads Manager Addon
Addon Page: https://gvectors.com/product/wpforo-ad-manager/
- Added: wpForo settings quick menu in top admin bar on front-end
- Added: Last Login Date column in Dashboard > Forums > Members list
- Added: Optimized flush_rewrite rules function
- Added: Trailing slashes to forum and topic list. Reflects WP permalinks.
- Added: Ability to fully disable Auto Moderation with Spam Control
- Added: Send email notification when a topic or reply get approval
- Added: Blockquote style in editor. Better view on post quotation
- Added: If new registered users' post contains a link it becomes unapproved
- Added: Options to Disable Profile Page Indexing.
- Added: Options to Turn Off User Syncing Note (2nd step of installation)
- Added: Topic status specific classes for [solved], [closed]...
- Added: Clean cache function, hook and arguments.
- Added: Signature Style
- Added: New options in Settings > Members to display Usergroup under Avatar
- Added: Options to Disable Object Cache, Memory Cache, HTML Cache.
- Added: Delete All Caches button (Dashboard > Forums > Dashboard)
- Fixed Bug: Visible unapproved replies in approved topic
- Fixed Bug: Subscribers get email when topic is approved but post is not.
- Fixed Bug: Illegal string offset 'userid' in /wpf-hooks.php on line 1281
- Fixed Bug: Username with more than 15 char
- Fixed Bug: Non-permitted content in profile activity and subscriptions
- Fixed Bug: Strips tags in email subjects and strip slashes in email content
- Fixed Bug: Sends 404 header on "404 Page Not Found" pages.
- Fixed Bug: Lock email send functions when Go2wpForo tool is running.
- Fixed Bug: Problem with permalinks e.g.: test.com/index.php/community/
- Fixed Bug: Many small bugs
- If you have a copy of wpForo template files in your WP theme /wpforo/ folder please update those. wpForo 1.3.0 requirs new template files.
- If you're updating from beta, 1.0.x or 1.1.x versions, please navigate to Dashboard > Forums > Tools admin page and check the "Possible Spam Attachments" section. We detected massive spam file uploading cases in non-protected forums. Spammers delete topics and posts but uploaded spam files are still in your file system, most of those PDF files. Please delete all suspected PDF files listed in this section. More Info: https://wpforo.com/community/wpforo-announcements/wpforo-1-2-0-is-released/...
- To load your customized colors please refresh forum front-end page twice.
- If you have a Cache Plugin, please delete all caches after wpForo update.
- If you use CDN and found some issue please purge it.
Also it is a good idea to exclude the forums from your current caching plugin or method (if you have already one).
I was wondering about this point too.
I'm using wp super cache, in wpForo I disabled the user cache [before the upgrade].
But my site includes also a blog, that is a lot of static data that benefit from that.
I could not find a way to separate, it is like all or nothing.
Now wpForo has a built in cache, that is a great feature, and like you said, I will have 2 running in parallel.
Therefore, I believe that the built-in cache of wpForo is good for those how are having only a forum.
I would like to hear what @Robert has to say about it.
** another comment about 1.3.0 **
After the upgrade all seems to be good but when I tried to open a thread there was nothing there!!
I had to shut it down a restart and everything was fine.
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
It is easy to exclude from WP Super Cache the base page of wpForo and all the rest (via wildcards, i don't remember how WPSC does it, something like "/community/*).
For example i use Comet Cache and i have excluded "/community/*" and that's it. Visiting my wpForo, i see in the html source:
<!-- Comet Cache is NOT caching this page, because `$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']` matches a configured URI Exclusion Pattern on this installation. -->
@Yossik from what you posted, i think no wildcard is needed. You can verify this by enabling for a while the DEBUG of WPSC and see the html source for the signature and what it says when visting a wpForo TOPIC. It should say that it is excluded (or something like that).
Also it is a good idea to exclude the forums from your current caching plugin or method (if you have already one). Running two caching it not a good idea, while it may work depending on the plugin/method. If it works, you just create an extra "hop" for your pages.
Yes, i guess so. Robert could also reply about it, since he knows better all this. But having two caching methods seems like an open invitation for problems to me.
I think we should wait a bit and see how efficient the new caching mechanisms really are. Because right now, i have enabled the HTML cache ONLY, and i don't really see any big difference in queries executed.
Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate your interest in all changes of wpForo. We are open to discuss and introduce all aspects of wpForo features. Unfortunately I see wrong tracking of wpForo cache and I'd like to describe it here.
First of all wpForo Cache works with forum pages and doesn't work on blog pages. WP Super Cache and other caching plugins work on blog pages but not on forum pages (only for forum home). The 99% of forum content is not cached by WP Cache plugins, so here wpForo Cache comes and does this job, thus completes full caching of website. These two cache solutions just complement to each other. Disabling one of them you'll get un-cached content in your website. wpForo Cache is not designed to do the same job as other cache plugins. It works in processes where other cache plugins have no access. wpForo Cache should be enabled for all websites, it doesn't matter you have 10 posts or millions.
Second, wpForo object cache controls the number of cache files and keeps those within allowed limits. In all cache folders you'll see maximum 10-100 files. Only the /item/post/ may have up to 1000 files (but in 90% cases up to 100) in very active forums. The size of these files are a few KBs, there may be a very few files with more than 10KB, so you'll not have problems with file system and disk space. In total it may take 1-50MB.
Third, the caching system and object caching are dozens of times faster than the native processes. You have no chance to slow down forum using wpForo Cache, this is also a wrong theory. This may be right if you have millions of files in the same cache folder, but as I've already mentioned above the number of files is about 100 and in very rare cases up to 1000. wpForo Cache keeps scanning and cleaning up cache files and folders.
If you have any issue with update, just navigation to Dashboard > Forums > Dashboard administration page and click on Delete all caches button.
Also make sure you don't have copy of wpForo template in WP theme folder.
And if you have cache plugin, delete all cache.
In any case I'd also recommend navigate to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and click on [ update options ] button.