Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Switching from bbPress to wpForo 2.0. Things to watch out for?

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Just thought I would get my first post on this board since I am switching to this software myself.

I will be moving from bbPress over to wpForo 2. In looking at the Q&A in this section, it appears most is all from the 1.* version of wpForo. So I just thought I would ask about any potential issues switching over with this new version. Will all the tools to migrate work well? Go2wpForo? Redirect2wpForo?

Any input and thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

8 Answers

Hi @cotner,

Yes, we've released a new version of Go2wpForo tool especially for wpForo v2 migration.

https://wpforo.com/docs/wpforo-v2/migrate-to-wpforo/#download-go2wpforo-tool

Redirect2wpForo doesn't need to be updated.

In case you want to say thank you !)
We'd really appreciate and be thankful if you leave a good review on plugin page. This is the best way to say thank you to this project and support team.

Topic starter

I do have the correct version... 

I was doing some testing. Now for installation, should I allow the main install to synch all of the users first, THEN use the conversion tool for bbPress you mentioned above? Of should I synch the users AFTER I convert bbPress?

Robert Robert 15/08/2022 4:46 am

@cotner,
It doesn't matter. Both work. You can synch then migrate or migrate then see if the migration has not synched users, then do it manually.

Topic starter

Good to know...

One more thing. Should I deactivate bbPress and all of the plugins that are linked to it BEFORE I install wpForo? I am just not sure on all of the "best practices" to get wpForo up and running.

Topic starter

@robert 

So I just installed wpForo from the main WP Plugin page. Before synching the users, I went ahead and ran Go2wpForo v3 to import the bbPress forum. The software itself seem to run fine. The forums sorta imported, but it was not sure to put anything. But the biggest issue is that none of the threads & posts from bbPress were imported. All of the forums are empty. So I am not really sure what I need to do here.

Topic starter

You can see that the users were imported, but everything else is pretty much messed up. For the forums, it basically imported the names of the main forums from bbPress, but all of the sub forums were imported as categories. (Empty) And then zero threads or posts.

Robert Robert 24/08/2022 4:15 am

@cotner,

Please deactivate and delete the Go2wpForo tool.

Then use phpMyAdmin plugin or the same tool in your hosting cPanle and drop the wp_wpforo_mg2wpforo table.

Then download the migration tool from our website (it has been updated)  and install it again. Make sure you've downloaded the latest 3.0.x version. Now it's clear and should work better.

Topic starter

I will give it another try later on today... Right now the database is clean because when things didn't work, I reverted to a previous state. I have a feeling that my first import when all of the forums were "sub forums" didn't work. Then the table wasn't removed when I tried again after changing the sub forums to regular ones.

Fingers crossed.

Topic starter

@robert

Well now I have a new problem.

I installed wpForo and then installed Go2wpForo v3 to convert over the bbPress board. But when I go to the bbPress part of the plugin, I get a blank page. Only the main page has any content. But if I go to any other Migration section, I get a blank page. 

I have removed the plugin. Deleted tables. Re-downloaded the plugin and re-installed. Nothing is working. Not sure what to do now.

PHP Version 7.4.30
MySQL Version 5.7.39
Topic starter

I had been messing with php update from 7.4 to 8... I think that messed up the "session.save_path". I found that potential problem from a post from you a few years ago. 

"Most likely you'd find this (depending on your configuration) in cPanel >Software> MultiPHP INI Editor

In some cases the session.save_path is changed by local settings via .user.ini or .htaccess located in the root directory of your website."

So I implemented that change and will try to update again tomorrow.