Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] A couple of suggestions for wpForo moderation features - Feature request / enhancement

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
 fawp
Topic starter
(@fawp)
Reputable Member

Hi guys

A couple of recommendations to enhance an already great product.

1. When it comes to reporting posts, it may be worth adding an option to get notified through the notifications system (used to notify you about likes and replies) when you are logged on as admin/moderator, as opposed to currently only getting emails. Ideally you would have a drop-down where you could choose one of three options, e.g. "Report notification type: [Email only] / [Notifications only] / [Email and Notifications]"

For example, I just reported a few spam posts on this forum. Whoever acts as moderator/admin won't see those reported posts until they check their emails (not everyone has their email client always on) whereas most admins/moderators tend to be active on their website for most of the day. This would mean faster response times to deal with those reported posts.

2. Ability to ban a user by accessing their profile and selecting a checkbox or pressing a button, which is obviously visible to people with admin/moderator privileges only.

Today you can only ban a user by a) copying the name of the user to be banned b) going into the members page c) searching for that member's username d) ban them.

For sites with a high number of users this is less than ideal and can get tedious. Ideally, when users report a post to you as admin, you want the ability to quickly check the reported post and then click on the offending member's profile and ban them right there and then.

3. Ability to set a ban timer. Sometimes you want to ban/suspend a user who has commited a relatively minor offence, and if that user is valuable you don't want to lose them. But it is cumbersome to have to set a reminder to when manually unban them. Most forum products offer a set of standard ban periods (e.g. 24 hours / 2 days / a week / a month / forever) or perhaps the periods could be customizable.

I hope it makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to consider this.

2 Replies
VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @fawp

Ability to ban a user by accessing their profile and selecting a checkbox or pressing a button, which is obviously visible to people with admin/moderator privileges only.

Today you can only ban a user by a) copying the name of the user to be banned b) going into the members page c) searching for that member's username d) ban them.

Create a banned user group with zero rights, change the offender's usergroup right from their account tab in profiles in the event they break a rule/s.

Remember to go into forum settings and set the banned usergroup to "no access" on all your forums. I have setup a private "appeal court" forum that only banned members can access so that can make an appeal for clemency.

1 Reply
 fawp
(@fawp)

Reputable Member

Thanks @verek - great workaround, I'll check it out.