Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] 300-075 - search bug?

7 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
 seen
Topic starter
(@seen)

I can not search by started with a number. Is it a bug in the search function?

6 Replies
1 Reply
 seen
(@seen)

Please try search 300-075 on this site, I can not get any result.

antonM
(@antonm)
Estimable Member

The search is not a strong point of wpForo. It searches only by "SQL TEXT SEARCH" (hope I named it right) with relevancy output.

I also would like wpForo to support better search with conditional logic, search by full phrase.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: antonM

The search is not a strong point of wpForo. It searches only by "SQL TEXT SEARCH" (hope I named it right) with relevancy output.

I also would like wpForo to support better search with conditional logic, search by full phrase.

wpForo uses "Full Text" of MySQL, this is a smart search based on full text, this is not a simple LIKE or "=". Is there any other methods you'd like to see in wpForo search logic?

antonM
(@antonm)
Estimable Member

Yes 🙂

For example

I have 3 posts. 1st contains "my music", 2nd contains "my", 3d contains "music".

I search "my music".

The Full text search gives me all 3 posts, but I need only 1. If I search by exact phrase the search gives me only 1 post. On big forums (my forum not so big ~4700 posts) Full text search gives me hundreds posts in results like now on my forum. It is very expensive for server resources. I search some phrase and instead 2-3 posts in results I get hundreds of results. Not very useful.

I think it must be like an option on search page: using full text search or exact phrase (using quotes "" or keywords AND / OR).

1 Reply
 seen
(@seen)

I agree with you. In your case:

1/ If you search with quote, "my music", wpforo should return one post.

2/ If you search without quote, my music, wpforo can return three posts.

=> Full text search is so smart but sometimes it is "not smart".

I'm hope the search function will be improve in the next release.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Thank you. I see what do you mean, but the best option in MySQL is the Full Text and it's very good for most of searches, it turns the smart search algorithm on only for words with more than 3 chars. If you use very simple words like"my" or so you'll get standard result, but in realistic search cases it's better than all other MySQL options. It sorts by relevance. And yes, we have not finished improving wpForo search, it's always under active improvement, so we may add a custom searching algorithm in future major releases.