Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Features & Styling after phpBB3

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@trotters)

Hi,

I'm in the process of considering wpForo as a replacement to our current phpBB3 forum due to the fact that I'd very much like to have our blog and forum on the same platform.

However, wpForo (like every other wordpress-based forum I've looked into) seems to be some way behind phpBB3. But I think at least that wpForo has potential that I've not seen elsewhere.

So, can I ask if it's possible/impossible to implement some of the features that our members love:

1. A custom profile box: I've attached an image of the profile box that I customised in phpBB3. Is anything like this possible?

2.  Icons: from top to bottom, this forum has very basic icons that I'd like to change. Possible? I'm talking new thread icons, comment icons, quote/delete/edit/etc and things like LAST VIEWED POST. The job-lot. Currently it looks like something I had on my Commodore 64.  No offence.

4. Twitter embedding? I've just tried it and all that shows up is the code.

5. Youtube embedding?

6. Emoticons? Like the LOL one attached.

7. Is it possible to add a poll?

8. A notification console of some sort where you can see if you have a PM, a mention, etc

9. Is there an @mention system? If so, if I tag someone, is it just their name that comes up, or their avatar?

10. Preview post

11, Change the SAVE button to SEND

I realise I'm probably being a bit of a d**k asking this as I know that phpBB3 is a lot older a more mature but I REALLY want to use a wp solution if I can.

5 Replies
Topic starter
(@trotters)

Looks like I can only send one image at a time, too. Can multiple images be attached inline without having to code? 

And I'm editing this post due to a typo which reminds me to ask if there's a way of identifying that the post was edited?

(@veganostomy)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Trotters

5. Youtube embedding?

9. Is there an @mention system? If so, if I tag someone, is it just their name that comes up, or their avatar?

Looks like the embedding options are available as a paid addon:  https://gvectors.com/product/wpforo-embeds/

I'd also like to see the @mention feature.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi Trotters,

wpForo is a new forum plugin and it's on 1.1.x development stage, but it really close to pro bulletin boards like phpBB. It has dozens of more features than other WordPress forum plugins. The speed of new feature adding is very high. We'll add this list in our to-do and I'll update this topics once some of them is available. If these features are essential for you, you should continue to use phpBB yet.

Some comments:

1. A custom profile box: I've attached an image of the profile box that I customised in phpBB3. Is anything like this possible?

This is theme customization. wpForo allows you to copy theme files ad customize. More info here:

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/forum-themes/theme-customization/

2.  Icons: from top to bottom, this forum has very basic icons that I'd like to change. Possible? I'm talking new thread icons, comment icons, quote/delete/edit/etc and things like LAST VIEWED POST. The job-lot. Currently it looks like something I had on my Commodore 64.  No offence.

There are no options for these. But you still can do that by customizing theme files.

5. Youtube embedding?

Almost all embed functions are available with wpForo Embeds addon. You can enable Youtube using a custom code explained here.

6. Emoticons? Like the LOL one attached.

It supports WordPress emoticons, just put according code in content. More info:

https://wpforo.com/docs/root/topics-posts/emoticons/

7. Is it possible to add a poll?

No yet. This is also in our to-do list of next month.

8. A notification console of some sort where you can see if you have a PM, a mention, etc

Currently wpForo uses the top-right notification box. There is no notification console yet.

No yet. But it's currently under development (planned this month).

10. Preview post

Not planned yet. This is not in our to-do list.

11, Change the SAVE button to SEND

Very soon.

1 Reply
(@pixelbright)

Hello, I'm currently looking at the possibility of migrating our online community off of vBulletin4 and really like your forum as an option for us if we decide to move to WordPress.

You said that @mention was something you're planning for this month. This is probably the most used feature of our members on our current forum and I wanted to know if there's been progress? This is literally the only reason I have not already said yes to using your forum.

As I saw in other posts, also, we'd like to use Ultimate Member, though I'm confident enough to make custom templates to get around double profiles in this case and wait for integration, I'm curious if there's also been progress on this?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi PixelBright,

Thank you for your interest in wpForo, please find my answers below:

You said that @mention was something you're planning for this month. This is probably the most used feature of our members on our current forum and I wanted to know if there's been progress? This is literally the only reason I have not already said yes to using your forum.

This will be added by middle of this month (probably with 1.3.2 version).

As I saw in other posts, also, we'd like to use Ultimate Member, though I'm confident enough to make custom templates to get around double profiles in this case and wait for integration, I'm curious if there's also been progress on this?

Currently wpForo is fully integrated with BuddyPress and Ultimate Members plugins.