We're not planning such a feature in the upcoming updates. This is just a mix this and cannot be added in the core.
I recommend you do an update-safe customization for forum template files to get what you need.
1. Create /wpforo/ folder in your current active WordPress theme
2. Create /layouts/ folder in the /wpforo/, then /4/ folder in the /layouts/ folder
3. Make sure you have this tree of folders /wpforo/layouts/4/ in the active theme folder.
4. Copy forum.php file from wpForo plugin folder: /wp-content/plugins/wpforo/wpf-themes/classic/layouts/1/ and paste in the /wpforo/layouts/4/ folder. So you'll have the Extended Layout forum template file in the Threaded Layout folder /wpforo/layouts/4/forum.php
5. Change your forum top category layout to Threaded Layout. Just edit the top category and change the layout to the Threaded one:
6. Go to Dashboard > Forums > Dashboard and click the [Delete All Caches] button.
Here is the wpForo Template file customization documentation I used for this instruction: