wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Need to Synch old users but keep them anonymous

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@nickf)
Eminent Member

Hi,

The forum I'm setting up is for scientists who are very, very careful about their reputation.  The vast majority will only post on the Forum if they are anonymous.  I have about 40,000 users that I've synchronized into Forum Membership, but it looks like the default is to have their email address appear publicly.  That won't work for us.

As we are tranferring credentials for a large number of users to the Forum (to allow them to post), we need to find a way to keep their names and email addresses private.  Best would be to substitute something like Colleague1, Colleague2...Colleague39742, a unique, placeholder, anonymous name until they decide to replace it with something more to their liking.

How can we do this?  If this won't work, what other options are there to keep the 40,000 old users anonymous on the new Forum?

Thanks!!!

3 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

but it looks like the default is to have their email address appear publicly. That won't work for us.

By default wpForo doesn't display emails. It only display emails for admins, just logout and check it as guest or login as a regular user. If you see that then this is a result of your wrong configuration. Navigate to Dashboard > Usergroups admin page, edit all usergroups and uncheck according "view" permissions.

Also you can disable member list and user profile pages for public view on the same setting page of each usergroups disabling "Can view members" and "Can view profiles" permissions.

Topic starter
(@nickf)
Eminent Member

Thank you for your reply!  I now see that only the email address of the logged in person is visible. 

However, the first name of all users is visible on their posts.  I want them to have some kind of visible username so that private chat is enabled, but don't want it to be identifyable unless they change it to make it so.

Best would be to substitute something like Colleague1, Colleague2...Colleague39742, a unique, placeholder, anonymous name until they decide to replace it with something more to their liking.  Is something like that possible?  Could I have my developer go into the database and just put these kinds of names into the Nickname field, and then globally select Nickname as the field that's visible?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi NickF,

I'm really sorry but I don't have any solution for this. We don't provide custom codding services. You should find some developer and customize this forum plugin and display the data you want.