Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Read only forum not working; members can still post replies

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@cmw14)
Estimable Member

I've always had a read only section on my forum where I post FAQ's. Members could read the posts but not reply, just as I intended.

However unbeknown to me until today, this appears to be now broken. Today a member has posted in the section !! Whether this is related to 1.4.7 I have no idea, it might have been earlier than that. Certainly I was a section only I as admin could post in and now its not despite the configuration being correctly set up.

As you can see from the two evidence photo's below, the forum section is read only! And when I logged in as my testuser account ( normal registered user) there is the post reply box, it never used to be there. Can anyone else confirm if this is the case for their wpForo installation so I know its not just me.

3 Replies
Topic starter
(@cmw14)
Estimable Member

I think I've found out what it is.

Its because I recently allowed guests to post. If you allow guest posting it negates the read-only rule because to allow guests to post, you have to allow "reply to topics". It completely defeats the objective of having the read only option for groups.

I will have either lock the individual topics to stop anyone posting or stop allowing guests to post. I will do the latter. 

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

You should create a new Forum Access similar to the Read Only, e.g. "Read Only for Users". And use this for Read Only forums. If you've opened Guest Posting you should no longer use the Read Only access for Users.

Topic starter
(@cmw14)
Estimable Member
Posted by: Robert

You should create a new Forum Access similar to the Read Only, e.g. 

Thanks Robert  👍