wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Space in username - no activation possible

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@frankw)

Hi.

I searched and could not find a solution. Here is the point:

If users register like "John Doe" they get the mail to set the password, but then they cant login. If you write it "John-Doe" or "JohnDoe" etc. it works.

Is there any solution for the empty space in usernames?

Thanks
Frank

5 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Do they use wpForo Registration form? What registration form you use on website?

1 Reply
(@frankw)

Hi.

I first used the forum registration with mail activation. I now disabled the mail activation and setup the password fields during registration process. This way it works.

Its a bit tricky, cause even for boards you need the OptIn just to make it legally proof.

But still I have no idea why it is working with spaces  now and not with the OptIn version. Same field I guess... name inside the user administration look ok.

cu
Frank

VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

My board is being plagued by this issue as well using the WPforo registration system. 

Scenario, a new user signs up and chooses the username of John Doe or John-Doe

The activation/password reset email goes out but the link is malformed and looks something like this:

https://wpforo.com/?wpforo=resetpassword&rp_key=zJavJYEQY2pSgL32cVQT&rp_login=John  Doe

Notice that the word "Doe" does not form part of the link so when the user clicks on the link they are obviously taken to the reset form for the name "John" only and will correctly receive an invalid key error.

How, where to fix?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: VereK

My board is being plagued by this issue as well using the WPforo registration system. 

Scenario, a new user signs up and chooses the username of John Doe or John-Doe

The activation/password reset email goes out but the link is malformed and looks something like this:

https://wpforo.com/?wpforo=resetpassword&rp_key=zJavJYEQY2pSgL32cVQT&rp_login=John  Doe

Notice that the word "Doe" does not form part of the link so when the user clicks on the link they are obviously taken to the reset form for the name "John" only and will correctly receive an invalid key error.

How, where to fix?

Ok, thank you for letting us know. We'll check.

VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

Spaces are still not escaped in the usernames sent in the reset emails so the problem still exists for me.