Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Times Ago bug in Persian

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@akiarostami)

Hi,

It seems that there is a bug in showing time in another language, at least in Persian. Most probably you can't read Persian, but I still hope you can see the error in the website. You can go to 

https://aafiat.com/forums/howto/

If you see the last column (on the left, since Persian is Right-to-Left), it shows "by Username" on the top line, and only قبل ("ago") in the second line.  There's nothing before "ago". It's basically doesn't show the time. 

I have the same issue inside the topics and posts as well. Wherever you show a "time ago" text, it only shows "ago".

Thank you.

4 Replies
(@crisw)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @akiarostami

Hi,

It seems that there is a bug in showing time in another language, at least in Persian. Most probably you can't read Persian, but I still hope you can see the error in the website. You can go to 

https://aafiat.com/forums/howto/

If you see the last column (on the left, since Persian is Right-to-Left), it shows "by Username" on the top line, and only قبل ("ago") in the second line.  There's nothing before "ago". It's basically doesn't show the time. 

I have the same issue inside the topics and posts as well. Wherever you show a "time ago" text, it only shows "ago".

Thank you.

Hi @akiarostami

This might happen because of any of the following scenarios:

1) The WordPress translation from English to Persian, specifically the "dates" (and the calculations that go with it) did not get translated properly, or

2) The wpForo Server requirements of wpForo to function properly, as compared to your own Server (you can compare your Server Information (Forum Dashboard > Tools > Debug Tab > "Server" and you can also check "Errors & Issues" in the same tab.

https://wpforo.com/docs/wpforo-installation/server-requirements/

Or it could be other things, my guess is as good as yours. 🙂

But if for now, you just want to hide the "Date" that comes before "ago" on your Forum page, you can try and use the code below: (I also tested it on my forum, before I posted it here).

Here's how to hide the "date or time" before "ago" on your main forum page:

Go to Forum Dashboard > Settings > Styles

Then on the Custom CSS Code Box, add this code:

div.wpforo-last-topic-date {
display: none !important;
}

Hope this helps. Or I don't know if the codes are also translated, or if it is just the phrases. 🙂 (If it does work for your Persian Forum, please mark this topic as "Solved" so that the Support Team can close the topic (and also, so that you and I will not get email notifications on this thread ten years from now. 🙂 ) I tested the above code and it works in my English version of the Forum.

Good luck and God bless you! (And I can't read Persian, I am also just a member here). 

2 Replies
(@akiarostami)

@crisw

Thank you Cris, but I'm hoping we would have a way to fix this, and not just "hide" it. I don't have this problem only in that page, it's anywhere we display date/time on wpForo.

I can tell you that there is no problem with the server requirement, and I don't think it's Wordpress translation either, because I only see this is wpForo.

I do see some other minor issues with your strings when I try to translate things as well. For example, in the Account page in the password section, for placeholders "password" and "retype password" are coming from the standard resource, but "New" (in "New Password") is not coming from any resource and it's not possible to translate.

Do you have this "ago" issue in other latin languages (French, Spanish, etc.)? Any suggestion on how to fix this would be highly appreciated.

(@akiarostami)

You were right, the problem was Wordpress translation! 

You can mark this as closed now. Thank you again for your help!

(@crisw)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @akiarostami

You were right, the problem was Wordpress translation! 

Hi @akiarostami . You're welcome.  I suggested, as a workaround, hiding the "ago" field, because I figured something might not be correctly or completely translated yet with the WP Core translations in Persian (or other languages).  When that happens, there might be issues with ANY plugin. 

I would guess if the WP Source codes are written in English, there would be challenges in the way plugins might behave.  For me, the English version WP Core files and wpForo English version files work great.  🙂 

I do see some other minor issues with your strings when I try to translate things as well. For example, in the Account page in the password section, for placeholders "password" and "retype password" are coming from the standard resource, but "New" (in "New Password") is not coming from any resource and it's not possible to translate.

Do you have this "ago" issue in other latin languages (French, Spanish, etc.)? Any suggestion on how to fix this would be highly appreciated.

You can also check the status on translations on this page: https://translate.wordpress.org/

I also am working on another site supposedly for another language that is not yet completely translated in WP, so we are working on the English version, and contributing to translations as well, but if you look there at https://translate.wordpress.org/ , and if you also volunteer to translate source codes in your language, you might get an idea on how or where to "tweak" in your WP installations for the strings that you wish to translate for your wpForo Forum.  

You're welcome. I think as the "Original Poster", you can mark the issue as "Solved" from your Original topic post above (it's at the bottom right corner "Solved" or "Check"Icon ),  and then only the Support Team can close the Topic. Good luck and God bless you!  🙂