Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] WPForo plugin creates too many queries on the server

4 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Topic starter
(@manos_devo)

Hi there,

We are using WPforo for about a year now and we are very happy with it.

Since today though we started having this strange problem where our website was getting down for a couple of minutes and then up again. This happened too many times in the last few hours.

I contacted our hosting provider and during the investigation, they saw that WPforo keeps making too many requests on the server.

When we deactivate the plugin everything goes back to normal.

I already tried some troubleshooting steps, (I deactivated some of the other plugins and our theme) so check if there is any conflict there but no luck.

I also checked what you suggested here:

https://wpforo.com/community/faq/forum-is-slow/

and I couldn't see any problem. I didn't check only step 3 because I didn't know how to check it and since the forum is working fine for more than a year now I am not sure if it makes sense to check this now.

At the moment I have deactivated the plugin so I can keep the rest of the website "alive".

Do you have any idea what might cause the issue?

Thank you very much in advance.

3 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Hello.

Without seeing the site, it is impossible to tell.

You may have been attacked, abused by some bot, your hosting maybe slow, a plugin or theme (or update) may be the cause, several things can happpen.

Most of the times it is a hosting issue.

Is your DEBUG LOG empty?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @manos_devo,

I think you've done some wrong configuration or your database tables are damaged. In any case, this is almost impossible to debug in the support forum. Please contact us via support[at]gvectors.com email address and refer to this topic.

Topic starter
(@manos_devo)

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your prompt responses.

My issue is solved now.

I still do not know what went wrong.

I will describe a bit the situation here for other people that might have a similar issue.

As I said I use WPforo for more than a year now without any problem! But a few days ago, I got several emails from the monitoring of my website that it was going down and then up again after a few minutes....and then again down and up and so on...

I first contacted my hosting provider asking them to investigate the issue. After their investigation, they told me that WPforo makes too many requests and the CPU load of the server hits the limit.

I could also see it myself...whenever I was deactivating WPforo the server load was getting back to normal.

I tried to deactivate the other plugins and activate WPforo alone to see if there is any conflict there without any luck.
About a week ago I had updated my theme, and since this was one of the last changes to the website I thought to downgrade to the previous version. But that didn't work either.

Since I couldn't do anything else at that point I deactivated the forum completely for a few days until I find what's the issue and my hosting provider prompt me to contact the devs of the plugin which I did.

Meanwhile, they said that they will implement the suggestions of this article:
https://wpforo.com/community/faq/forum-is-slow/

A few days later, when they finally implemented all the suggestions of the article above, I re-activated WPforo to test if there is any improvement. 

For a few minutes (3-4 mis) everything seemed to be fine...but then the CPU load went all the way up again and the website went down...
I had to rename WPforo's folder from my SFTP account to deactivate the plugin and bring the website back to life. But this time, when I deactivated the plugin the server load didn't go down! I renamed the whole plugins folder to deactivate all the plugins, but still nothing. I switched to the default WP theme but no luck with this either.

At this point, it was clear to me that there is sth else that was wrong. So I contacted the hosting provider once again explaining that the server load is stuck at 100% without any plugin activated and with the default theme.

After a while, they came back to me saying that there was a "service stuck on my website" and that they restarted that service and the server load was back to normal.

I switched back to my theme, and I started activating all the plugins one by one (I started with WPforo) and I was checking the website after each activation.

I activated all the plugins and the website is up and running smoothly, as it used to, for more than 24hours now.

It seems that whatever "service" was stuck now it's not..and the problem seems to be solved. I wish I could give more details but that's exactly how things happened for me.

Thank you very much for trying to help me.

In case the problem comes back I will make sure to contact you by email.