8 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
 fawp
Topic starter
(@fawp)
Reputable Member

Checked on wpforo 2.1.8

I would like to request the addition of hooks for functions such as spam_topic() and spam_post() so that, instead of the post being classed as spam regardless, those hooks can manipulate the function outcome in a place like functions.php

(you may also want to consider hooks for spam_attachment(), spam_file(), etc.)

Thanks,

fawp

7 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Spam should be handled best before registrations, from some Wordpress plugin.

If you have spam, you must find out what kind of spam that is and act accordinly.

2 Replies
 fawp
(@fawp)

Reputable Member

@dimalifragis I didn't say I have spam.  This has nothing to do with registration.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

Posted by: @fawp

@dimalifragis I didn't say I have spam.  This has nothing to do with registration.

Apparently you didn't understood what i wrote. And of cource it has to do with registrations.

You can't fight spam with "filters" ......

Anyways....

Tutrix
(@tutrix)
Noble Member

@fawp

maybe this plugin > Forums Censure PRO is what you are looking for

1 Reply
 fawp
(@fawp)

Reputable Member

Thanks @tutrix. Based on the replies so far maybe my initial request is not clear. Let me rephrase it:

Back in 2022 I asked @robert for some hooks enchancement for a wpForo function called remove_links(), and wpForo team kindly added the hooks requested, which was helpful.

Now I am requesting that similar hooks are added to other functions that deal with some automoderation features (e.g. spam_topic() and spam_post() )

The reason behind that request was:

in some cases,

• if some of your users post a topic/post (either with a hyperlink or not), and
  • if there is a chance that this topic/post may be intercepted by the "spam system" (by "spam system" I mean the collective set of functions managed by the moderation class), and
  • if you don't want that the topic/post is intercepted (meaning, if you want the topic/post to be posted as it is)

then you need to have a way to tell the spam system to not intervene.

Unless you hack the wpForo core code (which you don't want to do because of version control, upgrades, etc. etc.) you need some hooks that you can use, according to your own logic, via places like functions.php.

At the time of writing (wpForo 2.1.8) some of these functions (like spam_topic() and spam_post() ) don't have hooks, so it is not possible to avoid what I want to avoid (in some cases as I said before).

I hope it's clearer now.

Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @fawp,

We will add those hooks in wpForo. Your request has been added to our to-do list.

1 Reply
 fawp
(@fawp)

Reputable Member

Great, thank you so much @chris  👍