Clear all

[Closed] 2nd Board Access

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@brozobob)
Trusted Member

I set up a 2nd board, so now I have my main website forum, and then I created another board for a colleague of mine to be able to communicate with his students. I understand WordPress handles all registrations, so members will be comingled.  Is there any way to restrict those that are not his students from entering his forum (the second board)?  The only way I can think of limiting access is to not place his board on my site, and his students would have to login at the URL that he gives them.  That would somewhat shield access unless someone other than his students gains access to the URL.

Any solutions?

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @brozobob,

you can restrict the access to the Categories or Forums of the new board with Forum Accesses.

Topic starter
(@brozobob)
Trusted Member

How would I set this up?  Group A would include everybody who registers to the forum but should only have access to the first board (currently, they have access to both boards.  Group B would be members who would be allowed to have access to both boards.  Group A would only have access to the original forum (1st board). Make sense?  Do I have to create new user groups or new accesses?  Please advise....and thanks in advance, Chris.

1 Reply
Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@brozobob,

2 Usergroups needed:

Group A get Standard Forum Access to all Categories and Forums of Board 1. And NO access to Board 2 Categories and Forums.

So you give access not by boards, but by Categories and Forums in those Boards.

Another option is to use a password on the Forum Page created for the second board, and provide the password to those users who should have access to the private board.