Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] Forum Search functionality?

8 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
JeffJJones
Topic starter
(@jeffjjones)
Trusted Member

I am new to wpforo and just getting everything setup and working. 

How do I add a Forum Search capability as I see here to my Forums page?

What am I missing?

Topic Tags
7 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @jeffjjones,

The forum has a search icon in the menu bar and search widget in sidebar.

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

The forum search widget can be found in Dashboard > Appearance > Widget admin page:

The direct link to your forum search is this:

https:// example.com /community/?foro=search

JeffJJones
Topic starter
(@jeffjjones)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the responses and the screenshots.

Being new to WP and wpforo, the problem is I don't know how to display these things on my forums page.

How do I get these things on my page?

Thanks

JeffJJones
Topic starter
(@jeffjjones)
Trusted Member

Ok - I now see that the search icon is only shown if I turn the setting on for Show Top/Menu Bar. That was not obvious. How can I have the search functionality without that Top/Menu Bar?

Also, still not sure how to get this search widget to show on the page. This is my WP ignorance showing.

3 Replies
JeffJJones
(@jeffjjones)

Trusted Member

Ok - again, I am a relative novice to WP and wpforo.

I now find that if I drag the wpforo Search widget as described above and drop it onto the wpforo sidebar, then it magically shows up on the page with the wpforo shortcode. This is not intuitive knowledge for a newbie. The post above shows the widget, but leaves out the step of dragging it to and dropping it on the wpforo sidebar. Just for other newbies to know. I am sure this is obvious to wp aficionados.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@jeffjjones,

This is not wpForo specific skills. This is a WordPress part. First you should learn WordPress, understand how to manage themes, menus, widgets, then install plugins.

JeffJJones
(@jeffjjones)

Trusted Member

@robert Not constructive Robert.

I stated, and do realize now, that adding something to a sidebar was probably not wpforo specific, but until you know that, you don't know where to start.

I would think that it is not all that uncommon for users to be new to WP as well as the various Add-ins, Widgets, etc at the same time during the initial break-in learning-curve period. So, I would also think that these kinds of questions wherein someone does not fully understand the complete workings of WP would not be all that uncommon, when YOU develop and support an add-in for WP such as wpforo. Comments such as you should learn WordPress... are unnecessary. Users like myself are well aware of this and working hard to absorb all we can while at the same time, run a business, support our own customers, develop software etc.

Your initial response concerning the sidebar widget was simply missing 9 more words, "drag the wpforo Search widget to the wpforo sidebar". If I am asking how to add the Search widget to the page as you have here, I would think it is highly likely that this person doesn't know about how sidebars work and that you need to drag a widget to it and it will just show on the page now. 

It's simply efficient on your part. And has the added benefit of customer appreciation, loyalty and confidence. But your last response does the opposite unfortunately.

I hope you take this in the constructive manner that it is meant.

I do greatly appreciate this product and that you do support it.