[Solved] Forum Update Error - Trying to go back to pre-update

9 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
 Joel
Topic starter
(@joel)
Trusted Member

Hey Guys totally my fault for not paying attention and updating to the new version.

Honestly we were not ready for this and would never have hit that button.  Right now we are just trying to do some damage control and get back to where we were and I think we are close but the error I'm getting now is if I try to do anything on a forum setting... change the name or any setting I get

"Forum Update Error"

Any quick fix for this.  We just don't have time to try to push an upgrade right now

Thanks for any feedback.

8 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

I'm sorry but it is not clear what you did and what you want to do now.

If you want to go back from wpForo 2 updated to wpForo 1.9, then the way is to restore a backup.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

And put your site under maintenance until you figure this out.

Joel
Topic starter
(@joel)
Trusted Member

Basically we hit the update button before realizing this was a major update.... we had not disabled our add-ons.  We got fatal errors.

We rolled back our plugin folder to the old version but I'm guessing we are on the new DB changes

I think we are just going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

You can't go back to 1.9 just by using 1.9 plugin. The DB is changed.

But now you have mixed everything by going back to 1.9.x, i mean the DB.

Do you have a backup?

1 Reply
 Joel
(@joel)

Trusted Member

@dimalifragis Thanks... ya we figured we mixed it all up.

We have many many backups however I run this update last week when I was in remote Alaska fishing and not much Internet.  Since then we have had a lot of activity in the forums so going to a backup for last week is no longer an option.

So I think tomorrow we will go down the path of pushing the update and fixing things.

I would make one recommendation to to the developers of WPFORO next time you want to do this.

Don't just update the DB on a plugin update like this.

If someone updates to the new version have GIANT warning messages inside your dashboard where you have to click like 3 things to confirm you want to update the DB and everything and THEN do the DB upgrade.

A lot of other plugins do this so you don't break things.

Page 1 / 2