Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Forums and topics not indicating new posts

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@ehyland)

Hello, I was hoping someone here could help me with what I think is a configuration issue with the forums. I installed wpforo a couple days ago, and for the most part I love the functionality. It has a lot of things my previous forum plugin didn't, and is very fast (another issue I've had with others) which is a godsend. However, there is one issue I'm having that is cause a lot of troubles, and that's having forums and topics show when there's a new post.

In every forum I've ever used, different boards and topics usually indicate when there is new content; if there's an unread post in a thread, then both the thread and the forum containing it will have their name bolded, and typically darker; if it has already been read, then it will simply appear as a normal link. This behavior is not what's happening however; When I first created the forums, all of the forums showed as bold, as though there were new posts (even the boards that were empty), and once I had visited them once, they went back to normal. Since then, however, it doesn't matter how many new threads are posted in a board, it never indicates such.

The same is true of threads: the first time a thread is created, its title will appear bolded, to indicate it is new, but once I check it once, it will never change states, even when there are new posts added that I have yet to read. I went poking around the settings, but the options don't have much in the way of descriptions. Is there something I need to turn on or off to enable this functionality?

3 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

wpForo already has read/unread indicator and it displays bold/normal titles of forums and topics. This feature has been added in 1.4.1 version: https://wpforo.com/community/wpforo-announcements/wpforo-1-4-1-is-released/

However this feature only checks if the forum or topic has been visited by current user or not. If you visit any topic the title becomes normal. It'll not be changed back to bold once a new reply is posted. Same with forums.

In other words wpForo forum/topic title indicators are based on read/unread logic. It doesn't have new content detector logic yet. This is already in our to-do list and we'll make it available in near future releases. At the moment there is no option to enable this function.

Topic starter
(@ehyland)

Ah, alright, thank you for the prompt reply!

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Please update to wpForo 1.5.2. We've added the Read / Unread forum, topics, posts feature with "Mark all read" and "Unread posts" buttons. More information in the releases summary: https://wpforo.com/community/wpforo-announcements/wpforo-1-5-2-is-released/