Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] How to avoid being bombed by the junk ads posts?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@rjwhuang)

Here is what happened, someone registerred as a new user on our wpforo forum, and manually post a few posts with garbage informaiton first, presumably trying to bypass the new register users spam restriction. And then post about 50 junk ads with a script within a few minutes.

It wasn't difficult to delete all those junk ads posts, but try to find a way to prevent it happens again, here are some thoughts:

1. User is New (under hard spam control) during first [X] posts, we have increased the setting from 3 to 10, not sure whether it will work or not.

2. Google Captcha, we try not to use it becase it might discourge new psot.

3. Is there a way to set a time limit on creating new post? i.e. only allow 1 new post with 30 minutes? Since most of users won't have a real need to create mutlple new posts within a short period of time.

Any recommendation will be apperciated.

5 Replies
2 Replies
(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

Posted by: @rjwhuang

Here is what happened, someone registerred as a new user on our wpforo forum, and manually post a few posts with garbage informaiton first, presumably trying to bypass the new register users spam restriction. And then post about 50 junk ads with a script within a few minutes.

It wasn't difficult to delete all those junk ads posts, but try to find a way to prevent it happens again, here are some thoughts:

1. User is New (under hard spam control) during first [X] posts, we have increased the setting from 3 to 10, not sure whether it will work or not.

2. Google Captcha, we try not to use it becase it might discourge new psot.

3. Is there a way to set a time limit on creating new post? i.e. only allow 1 new post with 30 minutes? Since most of users won't have a real need to create mutlple new posts within a short period of time.

Any recommendation will be apperciated.

For me, all new users have to have their first 2 posts approve manually by admin. I also have all members need 3 posts to edit profile, and over 20 posts to post a link.

Then, I use Clean talk, this has kept a huge amount of spam away from my forum. Its very rare i see those kinds of posts now. Try it out mate. You can get  awhol eyears cover for like $5, very cheap, very good. 

With those two thing sin place, you shouldn't see much spam. And even if you do, the members of your forum wont see it because you need to approve it first. Then you just delete the posts and the spam member 🙂 

Hope this helps mate. 

Oh and of course, you need capture on your registration from, but not so much the log in form. 

(@rjwhuang)

@percysgrowroom Thanks for your reply. This is the first time I see this happens. Like I said, it wasn't difficult to delete all those junk posts, just want to see whether there is any way to prevent it from happen again.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Google recaptcha should be used in LOGIN/REGISTER and not in new posts.

Still you can't fight manual spam, it is almost impossible. Do you use any security plugin for Wordpress?

(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Posted by: @rjwhuang

If this happens just go to the moderation que, select all and delete. Thats the easy way to get it done mate. Just make sure you have first few post need manual approval. 

(@martin)
Support Team

Hi @rjwhuang,

Again, I'd recommend copy some very usual spam words and phrases and create a user blocking rules using Forums Censure PRO plugin: https://gvectors.com/product/forums-censure-pro/