Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] How to make private posts default and restrict access to public posts?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 msr
Topic starter
(@msr)
Eminent Member

How to make private posts default and restrict access to public posts?

5 Replies
Alvina
(@alvina)

Hi @msr,

Please follow this topic, it helps you better understand about the wpForo Usergroups, Forum Accesses, and User Roles:

https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wordpress-user-roles-wpforo-usergroups-and-forum-accesses/

msr
Topic starter
(@msr)
Eminent Member

Thanks, I have read that articles, and the articles linked within it.

However, the problem is that I cannot find a "Can set topic public" in Forum Accesses. I can only find a "Can set topic private". It assumes that I want as default that everyone can create public posts, and that I want to restrict private posting. However I have the opposite need also. I want as default that everyone can create private posts, and I want to restrict public posting. So I would like to see a "Can set topic public" in the Forum Accesses. Also I would like somehow to make all posts private by default. So I am looking for the opposite situation. Hope this was understandable.

1 Reply
(@martin)

Support Team

@msr,

I'm sorry but there is no option for that. The "Can set own topic private" permission is designed for both. So all who can set own topic private, he/she also able to set it back public, there is no separate options for those.

msr
Topic starter
(@msr)
Eminent Member

Okay.

Modifying layout: When reading a topic/post, there is a button (link) for switching between private & public. I'd like to hide that "eye image" and Public/Private link. Do you know where I can find that template? And is it possible to override it from my child theme, so that I can make changes without making changes in your files (which will get overriden when wpForo updates)?

Modifying function: I found the wpf_private hook/function. I was able to prevent users from switching private/public by exiting 0 in the function. I wasn't able to override it from my child theme's functions.php. Do you know how to do that, so that I won't need to make changes in your files (which will get overriden wehn wpForo updates)?

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@msr,

Please remove all customizations if those are not in the theme functions.php

You can disable "Private/Public" button for your users disabling the "Can set own topic private" permission in the "Standard Access" of forum accesses. I hope all your default users Usergroup are attached to the "Standard Access".

I'd recommend read the documentation of wpForo Usergroup - Forum Access combo in forum permission settings here: https://wpforo.com/community/faq/wordpress-user-roles-wpforo-usergroups-and-forum-accesses/