6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@scoreclub)
Eminent Member

Hello!

I have a bit of an urgent issue. 

Some of my students can't see the forum. This is a new membership site for music education.

As admin I am able to see the forum, using my test account I can see the forum.

I checked to see their WP user roles and they are the same as my test account.

I cleared the cache, but beyond user roles and that, I have no idea what it could be.

I didn't change anything for the forum and they were accessing it fine a few days ago.

This is what one student sent me.

I will create and email log-in credentials right away to your support email.

Thank you,

Alain

5 Replies
Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

Hi @scoreclub,

Probably permission configurations are wrong.

First of all please edit the Forum make sure you don't set No Access for the current Usergroup in the Forum Permissions section.

If there is another Access for the current usergroup (not the "No Access" ) please edit the forum access and make sure the CAN's are enabled, e.g.:

• Can view forum
  • Can create topic
  • Can view topic
Topic starter
(@scoreclub)
Eminent Member

Hello, thank you for the response

Yes, it's a permission issue that has to do with WP user roles. I went live last week and it was working at first. I have written a description of my goal and approach that I will paste below so that it's as clearly and succinctly as possible.

I did all my setup and tested and it seemed fine and went live. It started fine and then the user roles started to get moved in the wrong place. 

Anyway, here it is. Hopefully you can help. Thank you!

==========================

Here’s what I would like to accomplish.

1. Upon registration student becomes a “registered student” with full access and messaging ability.
  2. When student cancels membership he/she becomes “unregistered student”. (Posts stay visible, account remains, messaging stopped and can’t be seen in member list.)

What I have for tools that I’ve been using
(I use MemberPress for membership.)

1. The MemberPress user role plugin adds a secondary WP user role upon registration called “registered”
  2. The primary WP user role is set to “unregistered”
  3. Once a student cancels and is inactive, the secondary user role is removed

With this process, I’d like the user to be set to “registered” while their membership is active, which is the secondary WP user role set by MemberPress, and then when cancelled to revert to the primary WP user role of “unregistered” once MembrePress removes the secondary WP user role.

I have been able to make it work but only temporarily and it doesn’t synchronize correctly. When students sign-up they get synched to the proper group of “registered” … so it starts of well… but they get move to “unregistered” on their own and I don’t know why or when I synchronize the usergroups in WpForo.

Topic starter
(@scoreclub)
Eminent Member

A weird thing, I have a user who is marked as Admin in the Role-Usergroup Synch, but I see that no other place! He's not marked as admin any other place than here on his profile.

2 Replies
(@scoreclub)

Eminent Member

Ok, a bit more information on that. I went through all my students this morning and found that four out of 68 had been marked as "Admin" by WpForo, and only in WpForo.

And they could only see three of the forum topics, not the rest.

I did the following to fix it:

1) Turned off Role-Userground Synchronization
2) Manualle changed them to "registered"
3) Turned back on Role-Usergroup Synchronization

And that worked.

Was this a glitch? Is it part of a setup issue I have related to the way I have things set?

I am adding this for extra information in order to achieve the outcome I laid out above.

Thank you.

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)

Support Team

@scoreclub,

Probably it's just cache issue. If you use some cache plugins please exclude wpForo pages from the plugin's settings. 

1) Turned off Role-Userground Synchronization
2) Manualle changed them to "registered"
3) Turned back on Role-Usergroup Synchronization

I also suppose that there some wrong synchronization. Started from wpForo 1.5.0 version forum usergroups are synchronized with WordPress user Roles. The synchronization direction is from User Role to Usergroup. It means if some user Role is changed by some plugin or by website admin the Usergroup of this user will be changed automatically based on Role-Usergroup relation setting in Forums > Usergroups admin page. This helps to make wpForo compatible with the paid membership and other User Role-based access regulator plugins.

Also, the issue may come from the membership plugin you use. Probably it doesn't use the default WordPress hooks. 

I'd also suggest you deactivate other plugins and keep activated only the wpForo and membership plugin you use. If there are not any issues please activate the plugins one by one and check after each activation to find the problem maker one.