9 Posts
3 Users
1 Reactions
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: Glowball

.... It suddenly started doing this a few days ago and it's causing a lot of issues with my users. ...

Hi Glowball,

Could you please explain why it cause lots of issues? What is the issue?

Topic starter
(@glowball)
Trusted Member

My revenue is entirely driven by subscriptions.  When the setting changed, people were no longer able to set their initial passwords to log in.  So, I was having to monitor sign ups and set those passwords manually, emailing them to the new subscribers.  I lost one new subscriber who demanded a refund because the process was "backwards," and I gave him the refund.  As you can imagine, signing up for a website and then having to wait hours for the password is frustrating for my users.

I thought it was the plugin that controls registrations (s2member) so I was working with them to fix the issue.  I put a couple hours into troubleshooting with them.  Of course, that didn't go anywhere.

Then I had someone tell me they couldn't reset their password.  I tried that functionality and confirmed it didn't work.  I noticed that the URL for where it was redirecting had a post ID in it, so I looked in the database and found it was the ID for my forum.  I did some more troubleshooting and discovered it was wpForo causing the issue.

So, I've wasted a lot of time and frustration and I have 11 new subscribers who have a bad first impression of my website -- the instructions for signing up did not match what actually happened, and they had to wait to log in.  About half of them haven't logged in yet, and I may have lost their interest.  I've heard from 4 of them and it hasn't been very nice.

Bottom line, a setting was changed and that just shouldn't happen.  I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there who can't figure out why their site is broken all of a sudden.

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

Bottom line, a setting was changed and that just shouldn't happen.  I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there who can't figure out why their site is broken all of a sudden.

I think i know what happened with that 3rd option (password request pages). It didn't exist in wpForo a while back, so everything was working fine. At some point that option was added (not changed, added) and the default was Enabled. Most of us didn't notice.

Topic starter
(@glowball)
Trusted Member
Posted by: Anonymous20

I think i know what happened with that 3rd option (password request pages). It didn't exist in wpForo a while back, so everything was working fine. At some point that option was added (not changed, added) and the default was Enabled. Most of us didn't notice.

Ah, that makes sense.  It wouldn't have been such a big deal if it wasn't so hard to find.  Just the nature of having a WordPress site, I guess.  Lots of moving parts.

Page 2 / 2