Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Member cannot access Forum without an Admin touching the WP user account

8 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
TIMS Forum
Topic starter
(@tims-forum)
Trusted Member

I cannot share the URL to our site because it's a members-only site.

We recently rebuilt our WP website on WordPress 6.2.2. The wpForo plug in is installed and all Forums, posts and settings were copied over for the previous website. 

Website user logins are stored on our network and authenticated against. When a user logs in and they also have Forum permission, they can access and use the Forums without any additional login.

However, this is happening. 

• User logs in to the website (authenticates against outside source)
  • User exists in the WP users with the same email address they used during login
  • User accesses all webpages just fine
  • User goes to Forum main page and appears to be only a Guest
    • They can "read only" 2 basic Forums, all other are hidden
  • Admin edits the WP User account
  • Admin changes nothing; scrolls to the bottom and clicks the Update User button
  • User refreshes the Forum page and is now able to see and interact with all Forums as a full member

WHY must an admin "edit" the WP user account while the user is logged in to make the Forum permissions sync up? Just realized that when a User logs out of the website and then logs back in that the Forum shows up like it does for a Guest. Admin has to edit the WP user account again to make the Forums work again. 

What are we missing to keep users accessing the Forum? Role-Usergroup Synchronization is on.

7 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

@tims-forum,

First please make sure the table prefixes of the old and the new WordPress databases are the same, if you've changed the table prefix then you should change it in _usermeta table for capability mata key. This is the WordPress user role logic. 

In the $wpdb->prefix_usermeta table, there is a meta key called $wpdb->prefix_capabilities.

When users are created, the $prefix is hard-coded. You have to also edit the $prefix to the new one there.

So in your example
wp_capabilties becomes stx_capabilities. You must update it for all users.

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

Second, 

Make sure wpForo cache is deleted in Dashboard > wpForo > Overview admin page, just click the [Delete all caches] button.

TIMS Forum
Topic starter
(@tims-forum)
Trusted Member

@robert, thank you for the replies. I passed them on and this is what my team noticed and they need more help. 

I did notice there is a _wpf_member_obj meta key which has a value very similar to the wp_capabilities value. I wonder if this is what’s missing when the new user gets created? I imagine WP Foro is generating this automatically on account creation and something is not getting triggered correctly somewhere along the way. Maybe they can tell us more?

TIMS Forum
Topic starter
(@tims-forum)
Trusted Member

@blackraz or @robert, we still need help here. Thank you!

TIMS Forum
Topic starter
(@tims-forum)
Trusted Member

@robert or @blackraz can you please help us with this feedback from our developers:

I did notice there is a _wpf_member_obj meta key which has a value very similar to the wp_capabilities value. I wonder if this is what’s missing when the new user gets created? I imagine WP Foro is generating this automatically on account creation and something is not getting triggered correctly somewhere along the way. Maybe they can tell us more?

There's also a screenshot in the original post above. Thank you!

Page 1 / 2