Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] phpBB to wpForo migration

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@bbsemail)
Eminent Member

I just migrated phpBB discussion Boards to wpForo using the very good importer.  Thanks for providing. A few questions:

1. We are only allowing Club members to post to the new forum on wpForo but when the plugin imported all of the phpBB users and posts it created a new WordPress account for each phpBB user imported.  phpBB used a username to id users and in WordPress and wpForo the username is the email address.  I have not checked yet, but was the migration tool able to link up imported posts with WordPress users based on email address?

2.  For the thousands of phpBB users imported as new WordPress users who are not Club members, do I need to keep these users to retain their posts?  If not Club members, I don't want them able to login or to post.  I'm also running MemberPress membership software and now that my WordPress user database grew by about 4,000 with the phpBB import, and these phpBB users can log into WordPress, I'm going to use MemberPress to check if the logged in user has an active membership before granting access to some Site features designed for members. 

If I delete the imported phpBB users who don't have a Club Membership in MemberPress will I lose their posts?  I'm letting anyone read posts but you have to log in to post and I only want Club members logging in.  Any suggestions on how to retain these posts and preferably the id and email address of the poster yet delete imported users who aren't active Club members? We may allow the general public to post again in the future after our new Site and wpForo are working well.

3.  Post sort order : Maybe I solved it based on info I found on your Site, but what is the best way to sort posts so the newest post appears first?

1 Reply
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: @bbsemail

phpBB used a username to id users

To id users?? Please explain, what do you mean saying this. The Go2wpForo importer retain all connections between users and their topics/posts without any issue. The users are created with their posts.

2.  For the thousands of phpBB users imported as new WordPress users who are not Club members, do I need to keep these users to retain their posts?  If not Club members, I don't want them able to login or to post.  I'm also running MemberPress membership software and now that my WordPress user database grew by about 4,000 with the phpBB import, and these phpBB users can log into WordPress, I'm going to use MemberPress to check if the logged in user has an active membership before granting access to some Site features designed for members. 

wpForo doesn't handle users. All migrated users are WordPress users. wpForo user system is based on WordPress user system, so the authorization and membership accesses are also controlled by WordPress and membership plugins. However, the forum access is based on usergroups, usergroups are synched with WordPress user roles. So once some user "User Role" is changed, it'll trigger wpForo usergroup change to corresponding usergroup. Just make sure you've synchronized correct user role with correct usergroup in Dashboard  > Forums > Usergroup admin page. And here is a good topic to understand the issue:

If I delete the imported phpBB users who don't have a Club Membership in MemberPress will I lose their posts? 

When you delete a user, it asks you to either keep or remove the user content, just choose the "keeping" option.

3.  Post sort order : Maybe I solved it based on info I found on your Site, but what is the best way to sort posts so the newest post appears first?

This is the only and the best way: https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/sort-topics-by-its-created-time-not-the-last-replys-created-time-2/#post-55439