Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Solved] sub categories

18 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
GamingWisp
Topic starter
(@gamingwisp)

hey guys, im trying to figure out how to make sub categories. im doing a very detailed forum where every category can break down 3-4 times. rather than doing sub topics i would rather do sub categories. is this possible with this forum plug-in? if not, can it be added? perhaps a check box that can be clicked to make new forum a sub category.

17 Replies
2 Replies
(@anonymous20)

Noble Member
Posted by: GamingWisp

hey guys, im trying to figure out how to make sub categories. im doing a very detailed forum where every category can break down 3-4 times. rather than doing sub topics i would rather do sub categories. is this possible with this forum plug-in? if not, can it be added? perhaps a check box that can be clicked to make new forum a sub category.

While the solution is provided above this post, still doing what you plan to do ... is just extremely bad design for the users and your forum. A very bad and not practical idea in general.

GamingWisp
(@gamingwisp)

Posted by: Anonymous20

While the solution is provided above this post, still doing what you plan to do ... is just extremely bad design for the users and your forum. A very bad and not practical idea in general.

Again, i dont see any helpful info in this response.  You keep defending this guy that came into my topic only to start negativity. He offered 0 help in this post.

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

Hi @gamingwisp,

yes, wpForo provides with unlimited forum hierarchy. You can have unlimited levels of parent-child forums. Just drag and drop forum panels to set parent-child relationship.

Please read the documentation here: https://wpforo.com/docs/root/categories-and-forums/category-vs-forums/

3 Replies
GamingWisp
(@gamingwisp)

@sofy the problem is, when you move a category and attach it under another category, it reverts to a forum once the hierarchy is saved. I did try that before posting.

@anonymous20 i have a valid reason for doing this, i shall explain. I want the main category to be "gaming" then under that i want different games. Lets use 2 games for example. League of Legends and World of Warcraft. I dont want people to be able to post in these. Instead i want them to choose from a sub forum of these games. Sub forums could be north america and europe since they cant play together in game. No point having their posts clutter eachother. Perhaps you have a better idea to seperate communities?

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

@sofy the problem is, when you move a category and attach it under another category, it reverts to a forum once the hierarchy is saved. I did try that before posting.

Hi @gamingwisp,

I'm sorry but there is no way to set a sub-forum as category. The category is the top/parent item and it's used as a section of forums. Please read the Category VS Forum documentation to see all differences:  https://wpforo.com/docs/root/categories-and-forums/category-vs-forums/

(@crisw)

Reputable Member

Hi Everyone.  I type and come in Peace. 🙂

I am trying to understand the question of the original poster, @GamingWisp

"im trying to figure out how to make sub categories. im doing a very detailed forum where every category can break down 3-4 times. rather than doing sub topics i would rather do sub categories. is this possible with this forum plug-in?"

and WHY? Because ...

"i have a valid reason for doing this, i shall explain. I want the main category to be "gaming" then under that i want different games. Lets use 2 games for example. League of Legends and World of Warcraft. I dont want people to be able to post in these. Instead i want them to choose from a sub forum of these games. Sub forums could be north america and europe since they cant play together in game. No point having their posts clutter eachother. Perhaps you have a better idea to seperate communities?

So, MY SUGGESTION is... (in an 18 step checklist):

Using your post, Lets use 2 games for example. League of Legends and World of Warcraft.

1. Go to the Forum Dashboard,
2. then Add New Forum
3. Create a wpForo "Category"
4. Use as Category - check the box
5. then Category layout, select "Extended"
6. and name it "League of Legends"
7. Under that,  Create a "Forum" and name it "League of Legends"
8. And then create subforums under that, example
"subforum 1. North America"
"subforum 2. Europe"
"subforum 3. Asia"
9. Then click the "Save forums order and hierarchy" at the bottom of the page.
10. So, now you have, for example:

Forum ID | Forum Name |
00 | League of Legends | (Blue - Category)
01 | League of Legends | (Forum)
02 | "subforum 1. North America" |
03 | "subforum 2. Europe" |
04 | "subforum 3. Asia" |

Notice the corresponding Forum ID created on the left of your newly created Forum and subforums? We will use that later.

11. Then create your second Game community, "World of Warcraft"
12. And then create subforums under that, example: 

"subforum 1. North America"
"subforum 2. Europe"
"subforum 3. Asia"

13. Then click the "Save forums order and hierarchy" at the bottom of the page. 

14. So now your Forum Dashboard would look like this: 

Forum ID | Forum Name |
00 | League of Legends | (Blue - Category)
01 | League of Legends | (Forum)
02 | "subforum 1. North America" |
03 | "subforum 2. Europe" |
04 | "subforum 3. Asia" |
05 | World of Warcraft | (Blue - Category)
06 | World of Warcraft | (Forum)
07 | "subforum 1. North America" |
08 | "subforum 2. Europe" |
09 | "subforum 3. Asia" |

Notice the corresponding Forum ID's on the very left? We will get to that and use that later. Not just yet.  🙂 

15. Now create a New WP Web Page, and name it "League of Legends" 

16. Then just type the item shortcode below on the page (the id="01" is from the above forum and the corresponding Forum ID we created, this is where we use it - tweak it according to your own forum id number): 

[wpforo item="forum" id="01"]

17. For your other World of Warcraft community, create another New WP Web Page, and name it "World of Warcraft"

18. Then just type the item shortcode below on the page (the id="06" is from the above forum and the corresponding Forum ID we created, this is where we use it - tweak it according to your own forum id number): 

[wpforo item="forum" id="06"]

So THAT, in my own little detailed opinion, is how you can separate your community in different forums. 🙂

Shortcut:  Just create the above item shortcodes in different new webpages.  🙂   

"I dont want people to be able to post in these. Instead i want them to choose from a sub forum of these games. Sub forums could be north america and europe since they cant play together in game. No point having their posts clutter eachother. Perhaps you have a better idea to seperate communities?"

Also, you might also want to disable the breadcrumbs, if you don't want posting from different communities and just create a new Top Menu to link to these specific pages you created for your separate communities.  To disable the Breadcrumbs: 

Go to Forum Dashboard
Features tab
then under
"Show Breadcrumb"
Select NO

While @Anonymous20 mentioned it was a "bad design" I think it's meant to be an honest feedback as to the possible complexity of setting it up - because if one is new at this, it may get complicated with that design - unless someone in the community takes the time to type and participate in the forum and points one to the specific steps on how to do it, or where in the documentation or codes to tweak it. 

wpForo has fantastic documentation, I suggest you also familiarize yourself with it - that's how I set up my own forum too, just reading the documentation (translating it in my head into my native language so I can understand it and apply it), and if I don't find answers to my questions there, I do a "search" on the wpforo Search box.  But the wpForo, actually just works great, out of the box!  🙂 

I hope this lengthy post helps you or someone else.  English also, is NOT my primary language, and so if you find any grammatical errors, we all can blame my English teacher.  🙂 

As I was typing these suggestions, I also tested it first, so I know it works on my forum. (Disclaimer, I have my own simple WP theme, and I also have very minimal plugins).

Good luck and God bless you!

This wpForo plugin is amazing! 🙂

P.S. @Anonymous20, I do not know you but a lot of your posts here when I was starting to study and install my own wpForo was helpful, so thank you as well, I hope you stay and still be part of this wpForo community. And thank you to @Robert and @Sofy and everyone as well who provide amazing helpful tips here for everyone!

Peace on earth! Virtual High Five everyone! 🙂

GamingWisp
Topic starter
(@gamingwisp)

@anonymous20 or you could explain what makes it extremely bad design and a very bad and not practical idea. Because reading your reply does nothing other than make me think "okay this guy went out of his way to simply call me stupid"

1 Reply
(@anonymous20)

Noble Member

@anonymous20 or you could explain what makes it extremely bad design and a very bad and not practical idea. Because reading your reply does nothing other than make me think "okay this guy went out of his way to simply call me stupid"

You are imagining things, i only tried to help.

Adding a large number of forums or subforums is a bad idea for several reasons. Hard for the users to navigate, puts load to your server, makes things complicated to admin. Also many forums will be empty (at least at the start) and that doesn't invite people to post in there. You better have a compact start and them move and expand.

Still reading your reply, i find it negative and i will not participate further.

GamingWisp
Topic starter
(@gamingwisp)

@anonymous20 i dont see how calling it bad design and bad idea then adding no additional input into making it good design is trying to help. Seems more like a bully tactic. I appreciate you removing yourself from this topic and i do appreciate your constructive input on your second post.

Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

@anonymous20,

I have to ask you, don't share your negative opinion to community members, or be more informative when you do that to avoid conflicts with members:  https://wordpress.org/support/topic/harrassment/

@gamingwisp we at wpForo Community apologize if you got that negative opinion personally. We know our members very well and Anonymous20 too. They always try to help and help as much as possible.

Page 1 / 2