Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Titles / user groups

5 Posts
2 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter
(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member

Where does this title in box under name beside post come from? Mine is set as 'Admin' and I am set as admin for wordpress and wpForo. But I have other users who are 'subscriber' in wordpress and 'Member' in wpForo but in their box it says 'registered'. I don't understand where 'registered' is coming from.

And the 'title' field that can be edited in the users account - what does that change? All users on my site seem to be set to 'Member'. When I change that I can't see that it does anything.

4 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

There are three user titles:

1. Usergroup
  2. Reputation Title
  3. Custom Title 

When user is registered he/she gets these titles:

1. Registered
  2. New Member
  3. Member

The #1 (Usergroup) and #2 Reputation Title can be enabled/disabled individually in Dashboard > Forums > Settings > Members admin page:

When Reputation Title is disabled for certain Usergroup the Custom title Member will be displayed instead.

Custom title can be managed on My Profile > Account page:

Topic starter
(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member

I have changed the name of the 'registered' usergroup to 'member' and yet it still shows the user as 'registered' in the title box. [update: forum cache deletion corrected this]

It would really help if:

• there was an option to have wpForo usergroups syncronised with wordpress usergroups - I don't want to have to manage two sets of user groups and permissions
  • the naming convention was consistent - even just in the example you list, you refer to 'Custom Title' and yet this is displayed as 'Title' on the account page.
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

there was an option to have wpForo usergroups synchronized with wordpress usergroups - I don't want to have to manage two sets of user groups and permissions

wpForo Usergroup can not be removed, it's the cornerstone of all forum boards. It designed to relate Forum Accesses and control each action and data access in individual forum/topic/post/profile page. WordPress role can't provide such an extended functionality. We'll do our best to synchronize them but we'll not change Usergroup to WP role.

the naming convention was consistent - even just in the example you list, you refer to 'Custom Title' and yet this is displayed as 'Title' on the account page.

There is no other user titles. Custom title is the same Title. 

Topic starter
(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member

By synchronised I mean I'd like, for example, a wpForo usergroup 'Moderator' to have the same user role title in WP. The reason why I want this is I can restrict what options there are in my menus based on WP user role but not wpForo usergroup. So say I have a forum just for the moderators to discuss how they go about moderating the rest of the forums. I want the moderators to see that option in the menu but not normal users. I know the normal users couldn't see the forum, but I don't want them to see the menu option for it either. To solve this at the moment, all my moderators are set as 'contributors' in the wp user role. However, I have contributors who aren't moderators and I'd rather their menus didn't show it either.

On top of that, it can get confusing when one user has one user role in WP, is in a differently named usergroup for wpForo, and then has a few different titles.

And there are two titles.

Custom title - known on account page as Title

Reputation title