Clear all

Uninstall wpForo without affecting Google

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Reactions
Topic starter
(@alias79)
Trusted Member

I have maintained the forum system on my website for 12 years, but no one has used it for about 5-6 years, since our community moved to Discord. Honestly, I have kept the forums for so long, because they are part of the beginning of my community, and because I'm a strong defender of forums: there is nothing today, not even Discord, that comes close to it in functionality... but the times dictate.

With a lot of pain, and in order to lighten my website, I have decided to eliminate the forums. Comment that they started with the SimplePress plugin, and then migrated to a hybrid solution with phpBB and ended up with wpForo, which I have to say currently works phenomenally. It's fast, very fast, and intuitive. But, at least in my case, there is no chance that people in my community will use the forums again.

The uninstall process is simple: without deactivating the plugin, you click the "Uninstall" button, and, from what I have read, this deletes all the files and tables. If I didn't delete them, I could do it without problems from phpMyAdmin. My biggest concern is the links to the almost 9900 topics on the forum.

So, my doubts are 3:

1. Is there an easy way to create redirects to prevent Google from penalizing me for these disappearing links? For these types of issues I use the "Redirection" plugin.

2. Besides redirects, should I keep anything else in mind?

3. There were quite a few users (editors of my web, especially) who managed their avatars through wpForo, so I guess I'll have to find another way to do it.

Thanks a lot!

2 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @alias79 

Please find my comments bellow:

Posted by: @alias79

1. Is there an easy way to create redirects to prevent Google from penalizing me for these disappearing links? For these types of issues I use the "Redirection" plugin.

All redirection plugins allow to add wildcard and redirect all pages of certain path to certain page. So you can use /foro/* and redirect it to one page. There is no way to do an individual redirection for each forums and topics.

2. Besides redirects, should I keep anything else in mind?

I have no idea, probably this is all.

3. There were quite a few users (editors of my web, especially) who managed their avatars through wpForo, so I guess I'll have to find another way to do it.

Yes, you'll need to install a new plugin for users avatar management: https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/avatar/

Topic starter
(@alias79)
Trusted Member

Hi Robert! Thank you very much for the answers! And really, thanks for the help, as always.

I hope with all my desire that, although the forum on my website has ended in disuse, that wpForo continues to live on many websites, because it is a forum system that really works and is pleasant to use, and because I will always love forums.

Again, thank you so much for everything!