Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] WP-Approve being bypassed?

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@philhopethruscience-com)

I thought I fixed this AH from spamming my forum. Yesterday two of his spams were blocked using AP-Approve plug in requiring me to approve his membership.
Today I noticed he registered without my approval?
I am now suspecting it is someone in the WPForo community that is familiar with scripts that knows how to overwrite this protection.
The emails are all invalid so no IP is available I even blocked his host using IP ban plug in. Still getting in.

Suggestions?

2 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team
Posted by: @philhopethruscience-com

I am now suspecting it is someone in the WPForo community that is familiar with scripts that knows how to overwrite this protection.

There isn't such issue for sure. wpForo has nothing to do with the WordPress user registration and approval. wpForo is based on WordPress user system, so all issues are directly connected to WordPress user registration system. There is no way to register using wpForo functions because wpForo doesn't have any solution for user registration. wpForo just shows a registration form and sends all data to WordPress, nothing else. So, just stop searching hols or problems in wpForo, and try to find other solutions to protect WordPress.

1. Make sure you don't have other plugin which have a user registration function like WooCommerce, Ultimate members, BuddyPress, etc...
  2. Make sure wpForo built-in reCAPTCHA is enabled for all registration forms in Dashboard > Forums > Tools > Antispam Tab
  3. Try Wordfence -WordPress Security plugin to protect and block users.
  4. Make sure your WordPress is not infected. Maybe you have some marvels on WordPress or the hosting server is hacked. You should contact the hosting support and let them scan all files and folders.

1 Reply
(@philhopethruscience-com)

@robert Thank you for that. I tried using Captcha and after registering and getting a key, I never got a captcha when attempting to register under another a new bogus account. I followed the directions but could not get it to work properly. I used Captcha ver 3. I was told that this does not work and to use Ver 2. Someone posted that spammers are able to get around ver 2 so confused on how to make it work.