Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Great! Google only support V3 recaptcha now!

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Topic starter
(@atomzpro)

The forum comes with built in ReCaptcha for V2 ... except the keys for that are no longer available; you HAVE to use V3 keys ... which are incompatable with WP-Foro built in recaptcha ! (I thought I would add it as between this app and ARMember, spammers were able to create 160,000 fake accounts via the "anyone can register" option)

A few other niggles:
Sub sections display Topics and Posts data on the front page ... even though you cannot post to it!
These also display a "Add Topic" button in the catergory, (although it sometimes displays a sub menu to select a sub forum ... but not if you are logged in as Admin, which allows you to create a post in the 'catergory' heading.

Also, the sub forums are in one line,  and
break when they run out of room to
display the next item ...

Could there be an option to make it into a list:

• sub forum1
  • sub forum 2
  • subforum 3

And is there a way to ''disable' registration? At present, if someone is not logged in, it helpfully presents a Wordpress login ... which is a bit pointless if the site is being protected by WP-emember !

5 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Hi,

ok, then don't use wpForo form & recaptcha and use some other plugin for that. So simple. If you get 160.000 fakes, then you are unprotected in the whole site.

Install some protection. Several available. Wordfence, Ninja Firewall etc etc.

4 Replies
(@atomzpro)

@dimalifragis Sorry, was in a bit of a bad mood when I wrote that having spent 4hrs trying to get it to work. (At the time, I didn't realise it uses the standard WP login screen)

I also retract that it was WP-Foro to blame. I now think it was the other plugin which was SUPPOSED to lock down the site. It might of locked individual pages, but spammers simply accessed the WP login, and they could create an account. (I must also accept some of the blame for having "anyone can register" turned on, which was needed so people could sign up for the free option.

Now I know it's the standard WP login, I shall look for another captcha plugin. (Although I'm now looking at having WP-emember create entries in WP database when they register)

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@atomzpro Yes, it is a common mistake, people think that wpForo handles Login, Register and Email sending.

But wpForo only provides a form for easyness (login/register) and queues also all email to Wordpress core.

Good Luck!

(@atomzpro)

@dimalifragis It might not handle it natively ... but it does "link" to the appropriate areas.

For example, when clicking the "Add Topic" button, if not logged in, it will display a form to enter their username and password, (Standard WP login) and a link beneath that inviting them to register (for free) by entering their details. Not helpful for a membership site.

But I have since found that this login is controlled by "login.php". As the membership has its own login area, I will amend it to redirect to their page. Free members will also sign up / login there as the app also creates the Wordpress user account when they register for a free account.

Effectively, the login / signup will be handled by the membership plugin rather than a user simply registering via wpForo's standard Wordpress login

Chris
(@chris)

Famed Member

@atomzpro,

Navigate to wpForo > Settings > Login & Registration and Disable: Enable User Registration option.

That doesn't let to reg with wpForo Form, but if you have other Reg form, users can register with it.