Clear all

[Solved] Email notification to registered members

5 Posts
2 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter
(@exrbfrs)

Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of migrating my old AEF forum members to WPforo and the WPforo plugin has automatically identified my Wordpress user list which contains all my AEF forum members details and grouped them them as Registered  / Active (though the database table in Cpanel shows no one listed as Subscribed)

My query is that while I set up this great new forum, can I safely create new Topics without any Notification email being sent out to that user list.  I realise they are not Subscribed to any topic and hopefully will not receive notifications that lead to a Forum which is not ready for use... BUT I have learned to ask for help from those that know about the software.

My plan was to setup WPforo then invite my old forum members to the new site and advise they all set new passwords (due to incompatability of systems)

I can't show you my forum link as its nought to look at yet.

Thank You in advance.

4 Replies
Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

Hi @exrbfrs,

wpForo uses WordPress mail function to send the emails. So disabling that function will stop sending all mails which are working with it.

You can try this plugin to stop WordPress Mail function, but I hadn't tested it so cannot say that it will work for 100%.

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/disable-emails/

Topic starter
(@exrbfrs)

Thank You  Chris,
For the quick reply and I will carefully try the plugin you highlight first, but if that looks iffy then I will do as you advise and temp disable WP mail function via ftp.

I suppose I could remove my WP Users and the mail prog would have no one to email.... but I worry that WPforo would not be able to Register them again if I re import them via csv back into my WP.

Chris
(@chris)
Famed Member

@exrbfrs,

Posted by: @exrbfrs

I suppose I could remove my WP Users and the mail prog would have no one to email.... but I worry that WPforo would not be able to Register them again if I re import them via csv back into my WP.

I don't think that is a good idea.

You can try to concat a specific symbol's front of the user's emails, at wp-users table in database which will make them dummy emails, and then replace the concatenated symbols after the work you have to do.

1 Reply
(@exrbfrs)

@chris 

Yes Chris I think you are right .. I wont remove wp_mail nor go near the cpanel Dbase, so instead I installed the Disable Emails plugin as advised, 

I also installed WP Mail Logging and it showed that wp_mail  sent two mail tests, but I never received those two tests in my inboxes .. so the Disable Emails plugin seems to have intercepted them and looks to be working... fingers crossed.

Many Thanks for superb support.