Clear all

[Closed] What to Expect in Wpforo 2.0

19 Posts
2 Users
9 Likes
Topic starter
(@percysgrowroom)
Noble Member

Hi guys,  I have been using Wpforo for a long time, and it is great software. I love using it, so please don't get me wrong when I say this, but it is missing some features I think are important. 

For one, I would like to be able link my forum with software like Tapatalk for mobiles, but it isn't possible with Wpforo.

There are also many forums on the internet that update posts and thread automatically, without having to refresh the page. 

I have also seen some forums that have great competition sections and certain thread that are made just for entry into competitions and give aways that I would like ot see on Wpforo. As I said, I think this is great software, but I feel like without out these features our forums are left behind and will not be as good as some of the bigger sites out there. 

Can we get some kind of idea of what will be coming in version 2.0 of Wpforo? Will some of these features be added?

We have all waited for over 6 months for the next updated on wpforo now, and it seems like it is taking forever. I understand it is a big job and will take time, but I dont know how much longer I am able to wait, and not sure if it will be worth the wait if some of the thing I mentioned above wont be added to the new version. 

Would you be able to give us some spoilers of what we can expect in the 2.0 version? Will some of these thing I have mentioned be addressed? IE Tapatalk integration, live updates, and extra features on the profile pages like friend requests? 

I hope you dont think I am knocking your work, WPforo is great. But my forum has grown a lot and I feel like my site needs to be able to offer more now. Will wpforo 2.0 be able to offer these things, or should I consider moving onto new software? 

Thanks in advance for any reply, I appreciate you guys do to make this awesome software! 

18 Replies
VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

Tapatalk does not support Wordpress at all and will likely not do so again. So, that is not down to WPForo.

VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @percysgrowroom

There are also many forums on the internet that update posts and thread automatically, without having to refresh the page. 

This can be achieved via a Code Snippet. It's not Ajax so no resource savings via an idle function is possible but it does the job in the interim.

12 Replies
(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek I didnt know this, what code snippet can i use? Do you know? I would like to implement that ASAP

VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom 

add_action( 'wp_head', function () { ?>
	<script>
	jQuery(function($) {
	setInterval(function($) {
	jQuery("#wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-1").load(location.href+" #wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-1>*","");
	}, 120000);
});
   </script>
<?php
} );

120000 being 2 minutes. Change to suit your board.

The selectors on your board might be different if you use a different layout. They are easy to find in the browser console. You might have to make a snippet for each layout.

This will update to the topic at the interval set in time setting (ms). It will not kill progress on a post if you are sitting on there for a long time.

You can also make your "recent posts" page refresh this way too.

<script>
	jQuery(function($) {
	jQuery("#wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div > div.wpforo-recent-content.wpfr-topics").load(location.href+" #wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div > div.wpforo-recent-content.wpfr-topics>*","");
	}, 120000);
});
   </script>
<?php
} );
(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek This will essentially refresh the page automatically though right? I am looking for a more "live chat" kind of experience if you know what i mean..... is this like that?

VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom 

If you want chat don't bother with forums. I run boards on on other platforms like Xenforo, Vbulletin and phBB, all them of had chat client plugins at some point, all were ripped out eventually as they are death to the primary function of forums which not Social Media or Chat.

*If you really really have to have a function like that maybe Discord / Wordpress integration is the way to go.

This will essentially refresh the page automatically though right? I am looking for a more "live chat" kind of experience if you know what i mean..... is this like that?

Yes, but not the whole page, only the div above the reply box otherwise people typing replies would lose their posts on refresh. It's useful for retaining engagement on fast moving topics.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek Awesome, sounds like I should give it a shot at least 🙂 Thanks mate. Where do I put this code? Into the functions php?

VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom 

The best would be to use the Snippets plugin, It helps keep your modifications sane and easier to debug. And it is easy to use and well supported.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/code-snippets/

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek thanks gain man, ill try it out 

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek This all seems ot be working great mate!! Thanks for the advice!

VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom 

Remember, although anybody typing in the reply editor is not affected by the page refresh, somebody editing a post will be. That's the limitation of this faux live snippet. You will have to experiment with the timing settings to get a fair balance between the live feel and the need for a decent window to edit.

Of course this has no bearing on the unread and recent pseudo pages.

Hopefully WPforo 2.0 will bring some Ajax functions to the party for the power admins to use.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek IK have noticed that when the posts refresh, the front end of the forum doubles up.... hard to explain, its like the forum front page becomes twice as long because the content has been loaded underneath itself? 

Any idea how to fix this bit mate? 

VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom 

It will likely be a conflict between your forum layout and the selectors you used in the snippet. I have not experienced the issue you describe but then again, we only use Extended layout ( div.wpfl-1) and Simplified ( div.wpfl-2) - never used Q&A and Threaded layouts. I will run some testing on one of my dev boards to see if I can replicate the issue and report back to you after same.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek Thanks for your help BTW I appreciate it 🙂

VereK
(@verek)
Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom

Could not replicate on the dev site. Had a look at yours, and yeah, the main page is one long grow streak.

I think you should try changing the recent posts in the sidebar widget "

P.S. if you want to integrate the Pseudo Live topics snippet to support all your forum layouts you could go with something like this: (Make sure to tick the "Only run on site front end" box is ticked.).

Again, 30 seconds is likely too fast for sensible editing and also monitor your server resources for a day or two.

<script>
	jQuery(function($) {
	jQuery("#wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-1").load(location.href+" #wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-1>*","");
	jQuery("#wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-2").load(location.href+" #wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-2>*","");
	jQuery("#wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-3").load(location.href+" #wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-3>*","");
	jQuery("#wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-4").load(location.href+" #wpforo-wrap > div.wpforo-main > div.wpforo-content > div.wpfl-4>*","");
		}, 30000);

});
   </script>
<?php
} );

Also, if really really have to have an integrated chat system you could do far worse than Discord. Take a look here https://plugins.miniorange.com/discord-wordpress-single-sign-on-integration and over here https://zapier.com/apps/discord/integrations/wordpress for more info on the possibilities.

3 Replies
(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek Thanks mate, did everything you suggested. The forum was still doubling up though when i added that new code. 

I turned that off for now. but got rid of the avatars n stuff 🙂 Im going ot look into the discord thing now too. Thanks for all your help man, I massively appreciate it 

VereK
(@verek)

Honorable Member

@percysgrowroom 

Do you have your recent posts set to display posts rather than topics? Could be part of the problem. Also redundant as it resorts to the stream of consciousness c**p alluded to earlier.

(@percysgrowroom)

Noble Member

@verek its set to display posts mate