Clear all

Trouble Making New Posts with Many Email Subscribers

8 Posts
3 Users
2 Reactions
Topic starter
(@iamryanash)
Eminent Member

Is there any update on introducing a queue functionality for WP Foro? I have over 600 forum members with many of those subscribed via email, and I'm running into issues when posts are created due to the large number of email notifications that need to be sent.

https://wpforo.com/community/postid/57850/ has some info on queueing mail, and I'm hoping this is going to be rolled out soon.

Topic Tags
7 Replies
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

Wordpress handles all email, not wpForo. Not a job for wpForo.

Use this:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/gd-mail-queue/

1 Reply
(@iamryanash)

Eminent Member

@dimalifragis, it may not specifically be a job for wpForo, but it's something wpForo could do. Adding a forum with a lot of users introduces all kinds of email complications. If it queued notifications or could add them to a BCC line instead of sending so many emails via PHP all at once, it would help tremendously.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)
Famed Member

I gave you the solution, i have nothing else to say about this.

Email out (smtp) is handled by Wordpress not wpForo.

2 Replies
(@iamryanash)

Eminent Member

@dimalifragis, that's not a magic pill, unfortunately. With GD Mail Queue installed and working on my staging site, here are 2 tests with and without 1,000 subscribers. Quite a substantial difference.

dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@iamryanash There is a support forum at Wordpress.org for GD Mail, you could ask there for help.

Also it depends on how you send your email? Directly from Wordpress? Queued to your provider email server? How many emails per queue? Lot of thing to tune.

And why a plugin for wpForo could work better? Why discover the wheel again?

With your logic, wpForo should make a plugin also for Firewall, for spam, for login protection. Not possible.

If you have a so big forum and site, invest to a better hosting plan and use some third party email service.

Sofy
 Sofy
Admin
(@sofy)
Support Team

I’d also recommend this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/mail-queue/

1 Reply
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@sofy It is not as simple as that, i'm afraid.

For example you NEED to excempt New Signups and Lost Password requests/emails from the queue. Any queue.

And you can't do that with that plugin you suggest, while GD Mail Queue offers all that with a snippet.

GD Mail Queue is much much more advanced.

The snippet i mentioned:

add_filter('gdmaq_mailer_add_to_queue', 'custom__gdmaq_mailer_add_to_queue', 10, 3);
function custom__gdmaq_mailer_add_to_queue($add, $email, $type) {
  $dont_add = array('wp_password_change_notification', 'wp_new_user_notification_admin', 'wp_email_change_confirmation', 'wp_new_user_notification', 'wp_recovery_mode_email', 'wp_retrieve_password_message');
  if (in_array($type, $dont_add)) {
    $add = false;
  }
  return $add;
}