Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] Being hit by spam bots, posting as Anonymous

16 Posts
4 Users
4 Reactions
Topic starter
(@pieter)

I'm being hit by a spam attack and somehow, even though posting requires registration, they found a way to post as "Anonymous." I checked my user access and groups and everything is correctly configured.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/discuss/twin-peaks-part-12/

Is there a way to delete these hundreds of posts all at once or in batches? I can't delete member "Anonymous" and all of its posts, since it's not an actual user.

Thank you!

15 Replies
(@anonymous20)
Noble Member

Pieter, i'm using only The Shield plugin (and no other protection, spam or whatever like Akismet etc) and everything from BOT is blocked daily.

I have tried other solutions, and The Shield works best. Firewall also.

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member
Posted by: SamHunter

Is that plugin called 'Shield Security for Wordpress'?

Yes,

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-simple-firewall/

From what i have tried (all security plugins) this is the lighter, most efficient, and best supported. Also extremely efficient in bot battle.

(@mrsamg)
Reputable Member

I've just set up. Had been using iSecurity plugin but that doesn't really have all the features free for spam control.

I spent a long time being hit by fake user sign ups and tried a variety of things and in the end I had to turn off registration and have users email me if they wanted setting up.

I will gladly try this and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

(@anonymous20)
Noble Member
Posted by: SamHunter

I've just set up. Had been using iSecurity plugin but that doesn't really have all the features free for spam control.

I spent a long time being hit by fake user sign ups and tried a variety of things and in the end I had to turn off registration and have users email me if they wanted setting up.

I will gladly try this and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Be sure to enable GASP in login/register/recover password. While it seems like a "simple" security checkbox (the I'm human checkbox), it works very very efficiently with bots.

I had a LOT problems with comments in blog posts and that plugin helped me greatly. I still have some spam comments and forum spam posts weekly, but around 90% less and NEVER massive as Pieter's problem right now.

Page 1 / 3