Notifications
Clear all

wpForo 1.x.x [Closed] post/reply via email?

10 Posts
8 Users
1 Reactions
Topic starter
(@davidebianchini)

Hello,

I was wondering is WPForo has the ability to post/reply via email. We are migrating from Yahoo Groups and some of our members are used to communicating solely through email. So we would want to try to accommodate them.

Thanks so much,

Davide

9 Replies
Robert
Admin
(@robert)
Support Team

Hi @davidebianchini,

To reply via email wpForo must have a 3rd side email server like yahoo. This is something impossible in local hosting server and with wpForo - WordPress installation.

2 Replies
(@davidebianchini)

Posted by: @robert

Hi @davidebianchini,

To reply via email wpForo must have a 3rd side email server like yahoo. This is something impossible in local hosting server and with wpForo - WordPress installation.

Hi @robert,

Thanks for the reply. After researching this more, it appears Wordpress does have plugins for this (email group discussion) , like listserv and mailster. I suppose my question now is, how/if it can somehow integrate with forum plugins like WPForo or BBPress.

-Davide

Robert
Admin
(@robert)

Support Team

Ok @davidebianchini,

Please contact to our Custom Development Service via sales[at]gvectors.com email address. They'll assess this work and provide quote for this custom addon.

(@timrodman)
Estimable Member

This would be nice to have as a paid add-on.

I've been getting more and more people reply via email now that the email notifications contain the full text of a post (that was added to wpForo somewhat recently). I really like that the email notifications now contain the full text of a post, but now that people can read the entire post in their email, it's natural that they try to reply via email.

I use another plugin for support tickets and they have this kind of functionality available as a paid add-on. There are some good details about how they do it here:
https://supportcandy.net/downloads/email-piping/

All you have to do is embed the Discussion Topic number somewhere in the email Subject or email Body. Then you can read the number and add the email contents to the appropriate Discussion Topic. Personally, I'd like it if the number was included in the email Subject of any email notification within brackets like this:
"Email Subject as Discussion Topic [12345]"

Then you'd know when you read the emails which Discussion Topics to post the contents to.

Bonus points if you could parse the email Body to only include the reply and not the original email notification contents so only the reply gets posted, not the previous reply's contents.

(@vinnyusestrict)

Hi @davidebianchini/@timrodman,

I am the author of bbpress Notify (No-Spam) Reply by Email and have started working on a rewrite of my plugin so that it can work with other forum plugins such as WPForo.

Ping me here in case you'd like to be notified of the progress.

Cheers,

Vinny

2 Replies
(@martin)

Support Team

@vinnyusestrict,

Please make sure the integration doesn't conflict with wpForo email templates and email overwriting options in Forums > Settings > Emails Tab. All these options are created to control notification email content. You can enable/disable overwriting of WordPress native emails in the same admin page.

(@galos)

Trusted Member

@vinnyusestrict I am definitely interested in this also. The ability to reply to a message and it post to the forum would be perfect for our environment.

(@anthony_constantinou)

One of the very coolest things about WordPress is the availability for dozens of plugins to serve every kind of functionality.

Yeah, I too love the plugins listed in this post. However, my favorite WordPress SEO plugin is ‘All in One SEO’. Also there are literally more than hundreds of WP tools that are available, so one can choose any as per its requirements.

1 Reply
dimalifragis
(@dimalifragis)

Famed Member

@anthony_constantinou All "all in one" plugins are no good. In any plugin category.