[Solved] Forum update time after new posts and replies
As I'm setting up my forums and doing some tests I'm noticing there is a significant delay in things like posting a new topic and replying to a topic. I just tried posting a topic in a forum subcategory and when I back out of the subcategory itself, the new topic is reflected in the topic count and also reflected in the latest post info. But in my Wordpress admin page I do not see awaiting approval in the forums>moderation category nor have I received an email as an admin about it. It's been at least 5 minutes now and I'm just curious if this is "normal" functioning. The replies to posts also seem to not update immediately either. As I'm writing this I logged out of the account I was using to test with, closed the incognito browser I was using to test from, reopened one, logged back in and the topic I posted 14 minutes ago showed up along with the reply to another topic I made. Now this seems weird because from what I'm aware topics have to be approved prior to them being posted. This one never showed up in the moderation section and no email was sent. Any help?
Please use WordPress Tools > Health Checker and make sure you don't have WordPress loopback problem. If you have it, you should disable other plugins and check those one by one. Please read this topic, this cases was jReviews plugin, but in your case it could be other plugins: https://wpforo.com/community/how-to-and-troubleshooting-2/slow-when-posting-a-new-topic/paged/2/#post-37642
This also can be Emial Sending issue. When you reply it tries to send email to subscriber or to the @user you're mentioning. If your server has an issue with email sending it'll takes wpForo lots of time to get "false" result from email sending functions so the reply may last very long time.
Go to Dashboard > Forums > Tools > Debug Tab, click on Errors & Issues link and check the problems. The email problem should also be alerted there.
To confirm for others who may come to this post experiencing a similar issue. Litespeed Cache the plugin caused this issue for me. So if you're having this issue, try turning off all plugins and go from there! Good luck and thank you @Robert for replying and assisting.